Need some suspension-opinions

So... I am thinking of lowering the Clio and putting some spacers on it. Please let me hear what you would get, what you allready have and how it is handeling.

This is the current situation (18" Megane RS). Thinking about lowering 20-25mm and spacers of 40/axle.

img5654j.jpg

If you haven't got good roads in Netherland then go for a shock/spring combo like K&W V1 or V3 or H&R coilover set. If you got roads that don't have many bumps, holes,...etc. then you could try only getting a set of springs. I would get K&W V1 tbh

Like Ozi said:

If you have good roads: Eibach (25/30mm) & 20mm spacers or even 25mm

If you have bad roads: KW V3 (you can adjust anything - I know it's expensive) & 20mm spacers.

good luck with this mate, i got moaned big style by people on here and renaultsport.co.uk, that i shouldnt be lowering an r27 as its got the best set up and all that bla bla bla,

good luck with this mate, i got moaned big style by people on here and renaultsport.co.uk, that i shouldnt be lowering an r27 as its got the best set up and all that bla bla bla,

You are, and they are, completly right. But... by mounting the 18"Megane Wheels, the set up is altered. So I need to make some changes to get close to the original set up.

And furthermore, I am not much of a racer...

To the rest, definitly no coilovers or something, just the springs and the spacers. It isn't my intention spending one thousand euro's or more on my car, again... Rather spend 3-4hundred and let that be all for this year... :':smile:-p I just think that 30mm on the back would be to much?

Mine handles much better with coilover kit and lowered, same original setup as the r27.

Even the 197s excellent suspension must have been comprimised for comfort and ground clearance etc.

This is how my friends 197 looked on H&R springs-original coils and original alloys. He also had 18˝ and there wasn´t any rubbing but it was close in front when the wheels were turning left and right. If I were you I would sell Megy alloys, buy some light 17" OZ´s (ET 55...you don´t need spacers) and at H&R or. KW V1 coil. susp. kit., I know that I´ll be going in that direction - KW V3:smile:. Good coil. kit is expensive, but totally worth the money, at least for me. But if you´ll be buying only springs, than on your place would buy Eibach...because of the 18˝ alloys.

1.jpg

Last edited:
So, correct me if I am wrong:

-The R27 is lower than the standard 197 (7mm)
-So mounting springs that lower a standard 197 25/30mm, wouldn't achieve the same effect on the R27. But only appr. 18/23mm?

And another thing, I'll have to refurb two of my Meggy wheels, due to two little curbing spots. I have been experimenting with Photoshop in differt colours, but the original antracite suits me best. Or does someone have other idea's? I tried a yellow trim, red wheels, black wheels etc...

Do I make sense?

Last edited:
To compare, the car shifted slightly to the left, so don't look at the space behind the rearwheel, just the ride-height.

img5654j.jpg

img5654j1.jpg

So, correct me if I am wrong:

-The R27 is lower than the standard 197 (7mm)
-So mounting springs that lower a standard 197 25/30mm, wouldn't achieve the same effect on the R27. But only appr. 18/23mm?

And another thing, I'll have to refurb two of my Meggy wheels, due to two little curbing spots. I have been experimenting with Photoshop in differt colours, but the original antracite suits me best. Or does someone have other idea's? I tried a yellow trim, red wheels, black wheels etc...

Do I make sense?

A friend of mine (Maminja) had Eibach's on his R27 - disaster - had it for 1month and then switched to KW V3.

Totally agree with Raptor - I put H&R's on my R27 and it destroyed the ride quality. The standard set up is soooo much more predictable and planted. Springs do however, work well on non cup'd Clio's.

I'd get coilovers too - they are a superb upgrade.