Nankang NS-2R Review

So having scrubbed these up and finally done some different roads on them here goes.

Initial thoughts are very positive. I had this worry in the back of my mind when ordering these that being Nankang they would be poo, I couldn't have been more wrong.

I have put these round some corners I have previously done with the Pirelli PZero Nero's where with the traction control off and every time I think they are going to give up they grip again and shoot to where I am aiming, I thought this was a one off so decided to test again...and again...and again...and one more for good measure.

Not one time did I think they would succeed again, But oh my do they.

Motorway driving is pleasant and with music on noise isn't and issue to me (You may well notice the difference but I personally don't care much about noise). A and B roads the ride is stiff I will say that and with the ride setup I currently have sometimes bumps feel like speed humps but hey I'm not fussed about that with what they give back in grip and confidence.

Wet driving I haven't actually had a chance to experience yet so I couldn't tell you about that. Will update later on when I have done.

I will be doing a few laps round The Ring next week with them just to see what capabilities they have on track but I can't see them disappointing if I'm honest.

At £95 a corner also I don't think you are going to be unsatisfied if you do try these.

Last edited:
There exactly the thoughts I had ref ohh no nankang crap , but well when angel took me out in his Clio at Caldwell it did change my mind 100 percent , I found his car great with them tbh , and I will be buying them for le gimp track car next ,

Some good positive feedback Jack.. The only problem the Nankangs suffer with is the perception of the name and the great price.. Tyre snobs won't try them for those reasons alone

Some good positive feedback Jack.. The only problem the Nankangs suffer with is the perception of the name and the great price.. Tyre snobs won't try them for those reasons alone

Just a shame they dont do them in 19's! Otherwise I'd have been looking at a set for the 'ring trip

There exactly the thoughts I had ref ohh no nankang crap , but well when angel took me out in his Clio at Caldwell it did change my mind 100 percent , I found his car great with them tbh , and I will be buying them for le gimp track car next ,

The way I look at it is you have the likes of Toyo and others who make brilliant track tyres but the road tyres they make are "ok". So why is it so impossible for Nankang who I agree have a reputation of making road "ditch finders" to make a good track/road tyre?

It's just judging without even trying.

Exactly I know the R888's and ADO8/AO48's are tried and tested tyres on track and road but they won't always be the first choice mainly because of the price. If you don't try other things then you aren't going to know.

Just a shame they dont do them in 19's! Otherwise I'd have been looking at a set for the 'ring trip

It is a shame but I'm sure the Potenza's will do you fine mate :smile:

I will be trying these next,

I know what you mean though. The name Nankang isn't particular household aha.

I will be trying these next,

I know what you mean though. The name Nankang isn't particular household aha.

Exactly but then look at Toyo they make R888 which everyone knows is a brilliant track tyre and road use if you want to burn money IMO.

But look at their road tyres... T1-R, awful! Proxes 4, even worse, Proxes T1, average at best.

If it can work that way then why can't it work in reverse in regards to Nankang.

I'd like to see how these are in the rain, I need new tyres all round :smile:.

Surprisingly good in the rain, I went through a lake expecting masses of aquaplaning but no the tyres did their job perfectly.

Also used them in the brief snow that we had and they were fine.

Surprisingly good in the rain, I went through a lake expecting masses of aquaplaning but no the tyres did their job perfectly.

Also used them in the brief snow that we had and they were fine.

Safe to use all year then mate? I don't have a spare set atm and need new tyres asap really. Prepping her for the engine swap you see :wink:.

You'd be fine all year round.. There are those that will say you should run winter tyres but it's all personal preference tbh.

Mr F already does the best price possible as they are fixed at by Nankang but he does free delivery :smile:

I ordered mine at 3 on a Tuesday and they was with me at 10 the next morning.

Good review here mate. Which compound are we talking about?

I went for the Medium/180 compound as I wanted them mainly for road use but I will be giving them a good test at the ring next week.

Seriously going from Pirelli to these has been an eye opener. The levels of grip is like night and day.

I've got nankangs on atm, good when dry but in my experience it all goes downhill as soon as the road surface starts getting greasy, very unstable. I was turning off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway and decided to put a little bit of power on, the car squirmed and I almost lost it and nearly ended up spinning out.

Hoping to replace them with tr1's soon

which Nankang's do you have Chris... Doesn't sound like the NS-2R's, I've not experienced any issues in wet or damp conditions and I've got nearly 300bhp running through the front wheels

I wouldn't bother with TR1's either, awful tyre tbh

Last edited: