mytyres.co.uk

littleg78

Paid Member
Just a word of warning for anyone using mytyres.

I cancelled an order on 21st December, because they couldn’t fulfil in time… which was fine.

Mytyres uses DPD as one of their couriers, and DPD delivered my cancelled order at some point today… which was unexpected.

The bigger problem is that I’m not at home, so when I received a delivery notification email from DPD yesterday, I instructed them as follows: “Do not deliver - this order was cancelled. I reject this delivery”.

DPD then proceeded to dump the tyres unattended on my driveway at some point today (I only know this because my neighbour spotted them sitting there and called me.)

Price’s are cheap, but customer service is a shambles! Rant over… for now :smile:

Surely you’ve had a set of tyres delivered for free.
Or am I missing something?

Apparently my cancellation refund will only be issued when the tyres their courier has essentially dumped at the side of the road are checked back into their warehouse… I’ve spotted a couple of wafer thin holes in their logic!

Sounds like a shambles, but DPD might be more to blame... Although mytyres should just arrange for collection and have them picked up.

I've never had a problem with mytyres or blackcircles etc. Although I've always had them delivered direct to a garage for fitting, as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Reactions: littleg78
I’ll be home in a few days and will figure out what’s going on - just a bit of a ball ache!

I have the worst luck - when mytyres fell through I ordered a set through blackcircles for delivery to a local garage for fitting… and one of the the tyres they delivered was the wrong size! Can’t fault blackcircles or garage though though, refund was instant!

Gave up after that!

These were just winter tyres for my family shopping trolley so can live without them!

I run PS4 and MRF ZTR on my Clio

Sometimes cancellations slip the net on the sellers side, but this sounds like a fault on DPDs side (not just them, many couriers) as they don't allow "cancellations" or "don't deliver" after a certain point in their systems which is stupid for this very example!

I had it once where I was in and I said to the courier "take it back" at the doorstep and they were like "our system doesn't allow this" I was like it bloody says on your own T&C's you can refuse delivery so what are you on about?

He then called the depot and manager and they said bring it back.

Sometimes cancellations slip the net on the sellers side, but this sounds like a fault on DPDs side (not just them, many couriers) as they don't allow "cancellations" or "don't deliver" after a certain point in their systems which is stupid for this very example!

I had it once where I was in and I said to the courier "take it back" at the doorstep and they were like "our system doesn't allow this" I was like it bloody says on your own T&C's you can refuse delivery so what are you on about?

He then called the depot and manager and they said bring it back.

That will likely be as then they don’t get paid. Whereas if you had accepted it and then returned it they get paid once and possibly twice if they do the return leg too.
Only a guess though.

@suj Lesson learned for next time is to reschedule the delivery for a time when I’ll be around to have that same argument with the courier!

@strell I think you’re absolutely right about the money thing, because now DPD is going to get paid to collect the return leg too!

As it stands DPD left the tyres on the drive at my address on 30th December, when I’d said I’m not home until the 5th January.

I haven’t received a delivery notification from DPD, and I only know they’ve been left because my neighbour called me.

Mytyres couldn’t care less - zero accountability, and no interest in following up with their courier.

@link I think “you get what you pay for” is pretty accurate in this case… I’ll happily pay a little bit more next time!!!

Reactions: suj
My Tyres is part of Delticom which is based in Germany. They act as a booking portal for warehouses all over Europe, think Amazon Marketplace. I have used the trade version of My Tyres for years. Deliveries, when we had a customs union, were seldom more than 3 days, the very odd one might be 10 days. Prices were certainly on par with UK, but the main benefit for me was that I could have them delivered direct to UK addresses at the same price as they would be delivered to me, which made a different when shipping tyres. However Brexit has done two things. First is prices have risen notably and average around £10 more than local supply. Even though we are supposed to have a customs agreement there are still customs processing charges and admin. The second issue, and potentially bigger then the first is delivery has gone out to at least 3 weeks, which may work for some, but rare that anyone will wait 3 weeks for tyres.
The issue of return is that you will not get refunded until their nominated courier has at minimum collected them, and maybe not until they are returned to the warehouse they came from. You can say it is a issue with DPD, but any courier would be the same. Logistics is brutal, especially at this time of year. Logistics is set up to deliver stuff. It is not designed to halt the process half way through. If an order is cancelled it is down to the shipper to organise collection, or the receiver to send it back. You have cancelled the order on My Tyres, they have not cancelled the order on DPD. The volume of stuff going through a hub on any given night is huge and it is a process. While it may seem simple to halt a particular product, it is one out thousands on a truck and many 10's of thousands at a distribution hub. The process is not set up for manual intervention and storing product, which would then require re-labelling to be returned. It is infinitely safer and easier for product to arrive where it was sent so that it can then be dealt with and returned to the right place. Yes you can reject an order, like My Tyres will tell you to, but the guy in the van is equally under both time and also Covid pressure. They have big, bulky, heavy items in their van and 150 drops to do, and probably only paid per drop. The reschedule delivery options are simply additional information that may be conveyed to the driver or not and mainly it is a choice safe place or neighbour. Ain't no delivery driver got time for reading stuff at Christmas, especially as they have no process for return.

Thanks for taking the time to explain @NickD

Logistics is the worst… but even though the service is rubbish, and I feel sorry for the drivers, would I (and enough other customers) pay a lot more money for a free range, organic, high driver welfare, flexible and robust delivery service… probably not!

OMG I’m part of the problem!!!

Free range delivery driver farm... Just roaming about wild in a field waiting for a van, I like that. :hearteyes:

We live in a world now where critical mass amounts to success, if 99.6% people are happy with a service then screw the 0.4%, "good enough" is the enemy of "perfection". I see this a lot in my line of work, cutting corners to meet targets, ticking a box to satisfy a job done, endless pursuits of quantifiable results over qualative achievements. In the last year or so I've seen so many people quit their jobs cos they're just fed up with the current working life... As the saying goes, somethings gotta give.

I used to run a conveyor company which main customer was logistics. If you have watched Castaway with Tom Hanks, the clock that is posted at the beginning and seen running on a roller conveyor or the big loop in Fred Claus, were ours.
All overnight operations work on a central hub system. Local depots that collect and deliver sort product at the local hub. Some places like APC sort stuff into cages, like you see in supermarkets, others like TNT "loose load" meaning the stuff is conveyed into a truck and a bloke or two are trying to achieve a high level Tetrus score. If that local depot receives items which are in their delivery area, generally it stays at the depot, but may not. All the sorted stuff then goes on bigger trucks to the central hub. There it is sorted and "cross docked" meaning stuff is being unloaded, travels via automated conveying systems to a massive train set in the roof (a tip tray sorter) where bar codes are automatically scanned and the parcel automatically ejected on to the out going conveyor to be put on the truck going to the local delivery depot. The enemy of this system is oversize product. 72" flat screen tv's in a thin box with a piece of "fragile" tape on it. Bicycles, dining room tables, tyres! Very few couriers take tyres these days as they all have to be manually moved through the hubs. Nothing wrong with that, big tyres, easy to see, along with the bicycle and 72" TV, until you realise that from 6pm trucks are starting to arrive from all over the country and carry on into the night just keep arriving. It can best be described as organised mayhem. Machines, forklifts, trucks, people and lots and and lots of packages. 100,000 plus per night all having to go through human hands to load and unload. Automated machines firing parcels down extending conveyors on 40' trucks. There is no time for subtlety. It is why stuff gets damaged, "fragile" stickers don't cut it, things need to be packed for the environment. And it is why there is no space to halt a delivery. Just 1 tenth of 1 percent of the throughput cancelled and that is 100 items that need storing and rel-labelling. Meaning someone has to identify individual items from a bar code and send it bact to the right place, which may not be where it came from. Too hard, far more efficent to get it to where it should be and then people are dealing with one problem package, not 100 can sort out the return. Logistics companies are not in the business of not delivering. And don't send fragile stuff unless it is well packed, coz your delivery driver has been in since 5:30 that morning loading their van with 150 "things" that they need to get rid of.

Reactions: R20BTG
Finally got my refund - just over 3 weeks after cancelling the order. All turned out well in the end… just a long winded process.

Neither mytyres nor DPD could care less about the delivery problem, although DPD did advise that delivery driver would’ve been liable if the tyres had gone missing.

No relabelling etc required for collection, someone just turned up and chucked the tyres in his van - literally - they crunched/rolled their way to the back of the van over 4 or 5 other boxes… ouch!

No relabelling etc required for collection, someone just turned up and chucked the tyres in his van - literally - they crunched/rolled their way to the back of the van over 4 or 5 other boxes… ouch!

When I first got my hgv license I drove for Hermes through an agency, doing nights down to the main depot in Warrington. Me and my co-driver took a video of the guys 'loading' our lorry - basically standing on the loading bay and launching the parcels to the back of the lorry. The depot manager saw us videoing and ran over shouting 'get those fucking phones off'. After telling him to get fucked I pointed out he'd be better off pointing out to his loaders that those parcels were people's property and they'd paid money to have them delivered. After seeing that I would never send anything through Hermes, although I'm sure most other couriers are the same.

• Wow

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mdswente Wheels and Tyres 3