My new(ish) baby & some advice please!

Hi everyone on here,

I've recently got an awesome 08' 197 from my local Martins Renault and have to say thats its so slick!

I'm hoping this forum's gonna be good place for advice because im new to this whole hot hatch thing (my previous was 1.2 clio, which i loved!, first car u see....) anyone help me out with a few questions?

1. I've noticed that there seems to be two stages in the power delivery, on just before 4000 revs, then it hits again at about 5000, is this normal? Its way more pronounced when its cold too, e.g. today, with the engine slighty warmed up, in third i almost got a v-tec'esque kick at 4000! (did feel cool tho >:@)) But imguessing that its because the engine is only at 1600 mls, and that obviously it's still got a long way to go before its run in.

2. the "kangarooing" start in 1st/2nd gears when cold, guess i've already answered my own question but this is normal right?

3. Being N/A, would higher grade petrol make a mssive difference? my cousin's got an S2000 and when its on the cheap(er) stuff you can deffinatly feel a difference.

I will probabaly have more q's to come, but otherwise its such a great drivers car, it feels sooo planted and I think in terms of power its about right for me atm, (well, jumping from 74bhp to 194 is quite a lot!)

Btw, of course no one will take notice of this thread without some pics!
BUT,
I don't know wtf and how to post it, so, I will do so once someone tells me how!

It was between this or a new 200 cup, in the end, this one was just too good to miss out on and i was in the right place at teh right time. plus, i prefer the subtler looks of the 197, the 200 has the "bad boys" pipes with arn't my taste, plus, im not gonna notice that extra two seconds on the road am i!

Specs: (the previous owner got this just right)
Recaro's
Glacier White
Cup pack
Silver wing mirrors
black speedline
decals
front splitter

Im around the Basingstoke area, so if you see me give me a flash!

Thanks,

Will's

Hi everyone on here,

I've recently got an awesome 08' 197 from my local Martins Renault and have to say thats its so slick!

I'm hoping this forum's gonna be good place for advice because im new to this whole hot hatch thing (my previous was 1.2 clio, which i loved!, first car u see....) anyone help me out with a few questions?

1. I've noticed that there seems to be two stages in the power delivery, on just before 4000 revs, then it hits again at about 5000, is this normal? Its way more pronounced when its cold too, e.g. today, with the engine slighty warmed up, in third i almost got a v-tec'esque kick at 4000! (did feel cool tho >:@)) But imguessing that its because the engine is only at 1600 mls, and that obviously it's still got a long way to go before its run in.

2. the "kangarooing" start in 1st/2nd gears when cold, guess i've already answered my own question but this is normal right?

3. Being N/A, would higher grade petrol make a mssive difference? my cousin's got an S2000 and when its on the cheap(er) stuff you can deffinatly feel a difference.

I will probabaly have more q's to come, but otherwise its such a great drivers car, it feels sooo planted and I think in terms of power its about right for me atm, (well, jumping from 74bhp to 194 is quite a lot!)

Btw, of course no one will take notice of this thread without some pics!
BUT,
I don't know wtf and how to post it, so, I will do so once someone tells me how!

It was between this or a new 200 cup, in the end, this one was just too good to miss out on and i was in the right place at teh right time. plus, i prefer the subtler looks of the 197, the 200 has the "bad boys" pipes with arn't my taste, plus, im not gonna notice that extra two seconds on the road am i!

Specs: (the previous owner got this just right)
Recaro's
Glacier White
Cup pack
Silver wing mirrors
black speedline
decals
front splitter

Im around the Basingstoke area, so if you see me give me a flash!

Thanks,

Will's

Nice motor.

They need good fuel i.e V-Power. The more miles you put on her the better she'll get and the she won't perform properly until warmed up.

Make sure the car has the latest ECU update and be gentle when cold...

Welcome mate to the forum, car looks spot on.

I cant say I have noticed the difference between 4k and 5k but the car does come alive once you get over 4k revs and is mainly where the power is.

With regards to the kangarooing, as you have probably worked out this is a feature of the 197 that you just need to adapt to, there is a patch but as your car is a 08 plate it will already have it. Turning the ESP off solves this problem but just make sure you turn it back on once the car is warmed up :thumbup1:

The extra power you feel is the VVT, its just a small kick up the ar*e to the car..

Also the car looks great, do you have silver wing mirrors?

Oh and last of all, Welcome, people here are very helpful and friendly.

just seen the pic! looks stunning! iv always loved white with black alloys!

yeah i get a noticeable kick at about 5000rpm and then the world starts going backwards! its great!

i made a similar leap to you driving a 1.1 citroen c2 and going to the 197 is a nice feeling...

hi and welcome to the site mate,

very nice 197 you have just brought, white with black wheels is a great colour combo, :thumbup1:

The extra power you feel is the VVT, its just a small kick up the ar*e to the car..

Also the car looks great, do you have silver wing mirrors?

Oh and last of all, Welcome, people here are very helpful and friendly.

No its not.

VVT is active throughout the rev range on the F4R 830 engine iirc.

This myth comes from the older F4R engines used in the 1*2, but even then it was wrong as VVT was only used lower in the rev range for emission control.

The '5k kick' as its known is simply the point at where the Cam profile begins to make most power.

No its not.

VVT is active throughout the rev range on the F4R 830 engine iirc.

This myth comes from the older F4R engines used in the 1*2, but even then it was wrong as VVT was only used lower in the rev range for emission control.

The '5k kick' as its known is simply the point at where the Cam profile begins to make most power.

Well my bad, thanks for pointing this out. Just alot of times when trying to insure my car and other things its always came up as the 197 2.0 VVT :001_unsure:

But ill take your words over any insurance company since they didnt even know what a Renaultsport was... :blush:hmy:

Lovely car with great spec. I was very tempted by this car myself, but chose to go new instead. I am in Basingstoke as well so will surely see you around, when I eventually get my RB 200 towards the end of December.

thanks for the help so far guys,
u know, somedays i even sit there and just look at it, its soooo sweet (yes, the're silver wing mirrors), i love the details, like the silver seatbelts too,

io think it looks sporty but not chav'd up!

and Rich, yeh, guess i was in the right place at the right time, Tazz at the martins garage is a dude, was really helpful, let me know when u get the 200, will be interesting to see what im missing out on!

btw, the recaros fit me perfectly too!

:smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions