My clio 197 cup 09 plate won't start

Em 8023

Gold Member
The key will turn and power comes up with dash lights but won't actually start just makes a noise like it's trying to start but won't :worried:

Check the battery with a multimeter.. Mine did this a few weeks back and it was the battery

Ok thanks a lot , I've only had it 6 months so I'm not sure if it's had a battery or not , I don't have breakdown cover so that's what ill have to do since I can't start it up to take it to be checked

Is there a chance the immobiliser has locked my old 172 used to do it sometimes ?how do u reset it on the 197 if it does go into lock ? I can't get cover to start for couple of days with the breakdown

Well my friend got it started for me just kept trying an it started up in end but now I'm still wondering why it happened and if it's going to do it again

Have you volt tested the battery and starter motor? Can't say these cars suffer with immobiliser issues

Could be the TDC / crank sensor, mine wouldn't start intermittently and gradually got worse.

Replaced the crank sensor and all has been well since.

As suggested I would first check the battery if not a genuine crank sensor is only £37.