My car won't move

So at work today. I drove through some light rain nothing major
Left the car with the handbrake on (lightly) for 6 hours
Went to reverse out and the car would not move. Felt like I was going to tear the car in half was just stuck.
After a while the car was free

Any one else got this problem

Be brave and give it some revs. It feels wrong, but it's worth a try and a recovery truck would just rag it up the ramp with the wheels locked if you phoned to get it to a garage anyway. I'd be very surprised if the front pads have stuck to the discs, but they all (197 and 200) seem to suffer from the rears doing it when they're wet. Luckily the drive and the carpark at work are perfectly flat so I just leave her in 1st when she's parked up...

the pads sit so close on the rear disc anyway so could be a reason why, as willis said leave the car to warm up works for me then give it some revs and try shifting it

The only way i've got round this problem is to change the rear pads to ferrodo, other than dismantling and cleaning etc.

Still does it 'very' slightly on extra cold/ wet days but nothing like dragging your back wheels like it used to.

Yeh ur right after I redone my rear disks and pads I left it in gear at night with no hand break for a week or and they still do it ! I'd recommend you strip and clean and slip them though.

Yeh ur right after I redone my rear disks and pads I left it in gear at night with no hand break for a week or and they still do it ! I'd recommend you strip and clean and slip them though.

Did you replace them with renault pads though?

It worked for me, replacing with standard rear discs and ferrodo pads, thats why i suggested it '!'

Last edited:
i think the standard pads swell when damp thus causing them to stick on and bite

wow this explains alot. With all this kak weather my brakes have been making a god awful noise if I leave the car standing until I stamp on the brakes and clear them. I thought I was due new pads (They look nice and meaty and disks still look fresh).

Pleased I read this. Mine are the same, and while I thought it'd probably be happening to all of them, it's always nice to hear it definitely isn't just you.

OMG I have just this minute sent a friend a text asking what to do. Mine was AWFUL today - it was the handbrake sticking not the discs. I can bring it up 4 clicks with no resistance at all.....just drove it home, made the mistake of putting it on again infront of the garage just before putting it away, and it was really bad.

She's in the cosy garage, handbrake off (but engaged still :s ) and in gear!