MTEC Disc Coating

CallorFold

Platinum Member
Just thought id post this up here for those considering paying extra for the coating on MTEC discs (Silver Coating in this particular case) -

I don't know if this coating has a "life span" but certainly my rear brake discs have rusted just like any other. Front's seem to be faring a little better - they still appear to have the sort of shiny coating on them. They've been on the car around 6-7 months..

I'm wondering if they even actually coated the rear discs.... it was definitely paid for as per my invoice on this thread - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...r-option-than-MTEC/page2&highlight=mtec+discs

Some pics here (rears);

mcd9hd.jpg

143qidj.jpg

and front;

2h368ic.jpg

That's definitely not good. I'd send them an email and see what they say as i'm sure they're not supposed to rust at all. That's one of the reasons why I got mine coated in black as that way you can be sure they've been done. Hopefully mine don't end up in the same way too. Let us know what they say if you contact them

Yeah in hindsight black probably would've been a better option. Do yours still look pretty much the same as when they were new? Be interested to hear from anyone else with silver coated discs.

I'll take the time tomorrow (if it's dry) to whip the wheel off and get some better pics to send to MTEC. My gut feeling is the rears were never done, although they were definitely delivered with a silver coating on, not just bare metal disc.

To be honest with you I've only had the discs changed last week however from looking at posts from other forums, everyone says that they don't rust

I'd be pretty peeved too if I'd paid for the coating and they were rusting so soon after getting them. That's the whole point of paying extra! Interested too to see how they respond to you.

You would have been better off saving your money and buying a £6 tin of hammerite (multiple coats). Not good.

I'd deffo be sending them an e-mail with those pictures in! I wouldn't expect them to be showing any rust so soon. It could just be surface oxidation but considering they look far worse for ware than the fronts I'd be seeing what they have to say and pushing for replacements!

as above..diy..think a black paint would suit it better too..

Yeah I'm thinking Hammerite might be the way to go, certainly on the rears. You can get both Silver or Black Hammerite I think and I could give the calipers a quick lick of paint at the same time (silver).

Looks like there might be some gaps in the rain tomorrow morning (according to the BBC) so I'll get the wheel off, give everything a proper clean and then grab some pics to send to MTEC/post up here.

I got rear discs with silver coating from MTEC a couple of months ago and they are now rusting in the centre in the same way as the picture at the top. Will have to check the outer edge of the disc when I'm back home.

Was also considering sending them an email as well.

I got rear discs with silver coating from MTEC a couple of months ago and they are now rusting in the centre in the same way as the picture at the top. Will have to check the outer edge of the disc when I'm back home.

Was also considering sending them an email as well.

Seems like they're not using the same coating as the fronts then, either that or they're not painting the rears at all!

Yeah I'm thinking Hammerite might be the way to go, certainly on the rears. You can get both Silver or Black Hammerite I think and I could give the calipers a quick lick of paint at the same time (silver).

Looks like there might be some gaps in the rain tomorrow morning (according to the BBC) so I'll get the wheel off, give everything a proper clean and then grab some pics to send to MTEC/post up here.
I used silver brake calliper paint. Worked a treat. Bit dearer than Hammerite mind...

Ok so a bit of time spent this morning jacking the car up to grab some pics, the rears are definitely rusted, and no visible coating at all -

Fronts - perfectly happy with these;

dy4q5u.jpg

Rears - very unhappy with these!;

2s1396c.jpg

Also noticed the ContiSport 5 rear tyres (came on the car when I bought it) have some cracking - not sure if this is an issue? Something I should be looking at swapping?

25zmjqx.jpg

Ok so a bit of time spent this morning jacking the car up to grab some pics, the rears are definitely rusted, and no visible coating at all -

Fronts - perfectly happy with these;

dy4q5u.jpg

Rears - very unhappy with these!;

2s1396c.jpg

Also noticed the ContiSport 5 rear tyres (came on the car when I bought it) have some cracking - not sure if this is an issue? Something I should be looking at swapping?

25zmjqx.jpg
Weird how the fronts are so much better than the rears. Yeah that tyre need changing too

This was when they were first fitted:

attachment.php

This is now, about 2 months later:

attachment.php

Attachments

• then.jpg
    then.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 160
  • now.jpg
    now.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 159
This was when they were first fitted:
This is now, about 2 months later:

Yours have gone the same way as mine, if not worse!

I fired off an email yesterday to MTEC but they couldn't open the image links so I've re-sent them as email attachments this morning. Will let you know what they come back with

It very well could be! At least for the rears if I have to re-do them myself. Might still end up with silver though so I can give calipers a quick lick of paint at the same time :smile:

My hubs came up lovely with two coats of black smoothrite...........