MPG

Not sure if there is a thread already on this topic but I have driven roughly 800 miles in the Clio now and its reading 23 mpg, I have not really taken it much above 3500rpm, does this sound low for average driving mix of town and country?

sounds fairly low! Best off resetting the mpg counter and base it on individual runs rather than overall on 800miles..

Sounds abysmal. You can see my long term tracking on Fuelly here: http://www.fuelly.com/car/renault/clio/2007/jons160/372572 - remember it defaults to US units! I found the MPG counter was on average a couple of MPG low (ie I was actually doing a little bit better than indicated). Commuting (mostly country roads) is about 34mpg, with a few days blatting where it drops to give a long term average around 32.

Always using Tesco 99 or VPower wherever possible. Is your thermostat sticking open? (or dodgy temp sender?) If the car thinks it's running cold, it will be running very rich.

During the week I only really use my car to get to work (about 2 mile round trip) and an odd trip to the cinema which is through some back road 60 mph zones - mine usually reads about 24 mpg but that's stop start traffic, drive to the shop for lunch etc.
I drove to Newcastle (About 240 mile round trip) a few months ago and reset the counter - averaged about 31 mpg and I wasn't taking it steady.
Always use Tesco Momentum, nothing else.

Personally if you're saying that you don't go over 3.5k revs, it doesn't seem too bad to me..

It does sound kind of low, however not a huge surprise. My daily drive to and from work isn't done at much over 3.5k and I get poor MPG. Much better on longer runs and a variety of revs.

And yes, there are several threads on this topic :wink: very very few of which are about how amazing the MPG is on these cars :smiley:

Use the premium fuel 99 Ron. The car will run better and you will see an improvement on MPG generally.

All said and done it isn't a car set up to give you economic driving, between 20-30mpg is likely where it will live.

Reactions: Jimmy
Tbf mine is usually stuck in traffic or up and down the A1 and gets 31 / 34 mpg with the occasional hooning!
But still make friends with the petrol stations

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. I always use Premium fuel in all my cars, it just seems weird that my 4.8 BMW does better on fuel than the clio!?

10 mile drive at 50mph both ways to and from work for me - thats the majority of my driving.

Through 3000+ miles and 120 gallons that equates to 31.9mpg.

23mpg sounds horrendous if correct.........

Over how many miles would you get a decent mpg reading, I was thinking because I only get her out of the garage and do a max of say 50/60 miles at the weekends will it take a while to get a good mpg reading?

On the 182 there are 1 pre cat and 1 post cat. Not sure about 197 onwards? If I was replacing them I would suggest getting Bocsh ones from Eurocarparts as they have 30% off sales quite often.

Reactions: DS197

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tomc197 Clio General Chat 5
Jools Clio 197 Area 21
L Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust and Air Intake 22
E1bert Clio General Chat 17
Gus Clio General Chat 17