Misfire and hesitancy on acceleration

R27#239

Paid Member
On going issue with my 197.
It has a hesitancy and stutter when driving at below VVT rpm. This issue also appears about 5k and when pulling hard from moderate revs.

The only visual symptom is its wet (I assume oil) under the inlet manifold and around the injectors and the idle is very very rough. Worse than the usual rough idle.
Anybody have any ideas?

vvt on 197/200 is continuously variable...

bet the plugs haven't been changed - 36k interval

Just experienced this on my car. A mk3 rs200.
Problem was intermittent, only happening under acceleration or lateral g’s. Cruising along was usually fine.

I cleaned the map sensor, and ultimately changed it as the o rings looked rough. This helped a bit, but didn’t get rid of the problem. I bought some dipetane thinking my injectors were dirty. It has helped, but problem still there.

I bought some plugs as they were due for a change. When I pulled the first coil pack out, I noticed it was steaming. The seal had gone and allowed water into the spark plug pit, barely exposing the top of the spark plug once coil was removed. I’m amazed it worked at all while full of water. I cleaned it out thoroughly, changed the plugs and put it all back together.

Pulling stronger than before this saga thanks to new plugs, map sensor and dipetane! This all happened whilst driving from London to Belfast, so chuffed it was just a leaky coil pack seal as parts are rare in NI. I hope the ptfe tape I used in place of the degraded seal holds up until I get home!

Well I think I can say I might have all the parts in NI started as a hobby turned into an obsession. I'm guessing you don't have the sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet the water jet hoses most likely the source of the water. Watch the speed cops on the A75 they use unmarked cars pull out and tailgate you until you try to pull away I've seen them do it lots of times with the dark BMW with me then worked their way up the cars in front till they stopped one on the downhill outside Glenluce.

Reactions: GT85