Mini Cooper S JCW or Clio 197

Now I dont want biased answers as I know I am on a clio 197 forum lol.

I'm really looking for someone who has driven both, I personally have test drove both and still can't make my mind up :worried:. The mini has the character and the engine really pulls well with the supercharger and 208bhp! But the clio is on a different league in terms of handling and also pulls great!

I know that the Mini isn't to everybody's tastes, but I really like them.

In terms of everyday driveability, comfort, reliability, handling, mpg.

What would you go for? Mini JCW or 197?

I've owned a normal Cooper S with a works stage 1 tune (exhaust and air filter) and I now own a 197 R27....

In short, the Cooper was beautifully made, tough, and the Supercharger was intoxicating...... BUT, if you were to put my Cooper next to my R27, I'd pick the R27. It's more fun to drive, more comfortable and more sure footed. Get one with the Recaros and the interior is nice as well.

The only thing I miss on the Cooper is the longer 6th gear...but beggars can't be choosers.

Mike

Pretty similar. The Clio gets some stick for fuel, but the MINI was pretty ropey too. No more than 30-34mpg average I think.

To be honest pal, if you're looking at either car and making any decision based on its economy, you're wasting your time. Pick the car on what you enjoyed more and what gives you the 'fizz' (as James May puts it).

Neither is going to give you a great return on your expenditure fuel wise, but they'll both make you smile - the Clio more so in my case :smiley:

I dont mind about the consumption really, just dont want to spending stupid amounts, should have made myself a little clearer haha. Thanks for your opinion! It does help :wink:

I dont mind about the consumption really, just dont want to spending stupid amounts, should have made myself a little clearer haha. Thanks for your opinion! It does help :wink:

No worries... Drive a few and ask for a long test drive to get to grips with them...the Clio is the better driving car, the MINI the 'better' mile muncher.

Mike

Owned a Deep Black R27 F1 for 3 years:

Loved the car, great fun to drive, stuck like a go kart on drugs, fast, great looking car compared to the MINI and always put a smile on my face. But i ended up really disliking the car even though it was a brilliant car. It was expensive to service, expensive to replace parts, expensive to run on fuel and fill up, tyres were expensive and wasn't really a practical car for driving to the shop with the Recaros, cold start issues and harsh ride.

Owned a MINI Cooper S until last week and now own a Factory JCW (2nd Gen).

Love the car compared to the 197, great fun to drive, handles well (no where near as good as the Clio but good enough!), Very fast, Turbo is addictive, Great looking car but not as good looking at the 197, very well built and more comfortable than the 197. It's cheaper to fill it with fuel, does better MPG and tyres and parts are cheaper from my experience so far. I also find it a great car to commute in, nip to the shops and generally just live with.

Opinion - Even though i own a JCW now, i am Renault at heart so this is not biased on the car i have just now. But my opinion would be for a general fast car with great running costs the Cooper S is your best bet (cheaper tax and insurance) if you don;t care about the costs the JCW any day of the week.