Megane Conversion

Been reading more and more about the whole Megane engine conversion process. 197 is now off the road for the winter and I have been actively looking around for a potential engine to buy and build up over the winter.

Figured I'd start a general thread to gain further information from people who already have completed a conversion and for others who maybe thinking the same. It seems to be the most cost affective in order to gain some serious power.

I don't know a great deal about the Megane engine in terms of what power they can be taken too.

225 meg's appear to be able to mapped to 260bhp?
250/265 can go to 310bhp?

What combination of engine/gearbox is the most sought after? I'm sure I've read people using the R26 + R26 gearbox (with mechanical diff) . . . ?

I've seen a Megane 225 engine and gearbox for sale and wondered if these can be used?

The more people can contribute provide knowledge as to what is required, the better. Probably not just me wondering what is required.

Thanks in advance guys!

225 engine and gearbox can be used but no lsd, but you could alway get yaself an after market diff for it. Has for power, youre probably best getting on a megane forum
to find whats need for that power

The basics you'll need to get the job done are:

• Megane 225/230 engine
  • Megane 225/230 or 250 turbo
  • Megane loom
  • Clio loom
  • R26 ecu
  • Water pump
  • Alternator (Clio unit can be used)
  • Aircom pump if required (Clio unit can be used)
  • Ancillaries mountIng bracket (Clio unit can be used)
  • New cambelt and aux kit
  • Megane downpipe
  • Megane manifold
  • Exhauast heat wrap*
  • New clutch kit recommended
  • Miltek link pipe*
  • Gearbox - either Clio or Megane, I prefer the Clio box as its quicker accelerating, other prefer the Megane box, higher top end
  • Drive shafts: Clio if using Clio gearbox, Megane if using Meg gearbox
  • Engine mounts*. You can use the Clio bottom stabiliser, top engine mount is Megane unless you use the Clio belt cover on the engine and then you can use the Clio top mount. Gearbox mount depends in gearbox used so use the one for the gearbox. I have the Vibratechnics grp N mounts which are hard as nails.

If you want a reliable near on 300bhp you'll need the following:

• ARP rod bolts*
  • induction kit*
  • Large Intercooler*
  • SC Auto Electrics 63mm hard pipe kit
  • Silicone cooling pipes*
  • Silicone induction hose*
  • 3" decat pipe*
  • 630cc injectors*

Finally you'll need a lot of patience.

Anything with an asterisks I can supply at very completive prices along with uprated acutuators, recirculation and dump valves if so desired.

If anyone does plan on doing this conversion the single best piece of advice I can give is to ensure that you get everything you need to complete the job before you start. preperatipn is king.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighP
Angel,

With the Meg gearbox is the mount to the car sub-frame the Clio or the Meg item? or is it just the lower gearbox mount that bolts direct to gearbox that is Meg?

Cheers

There is a thread of wiring, parts required that I wrote in the How To section..

If you require a Meg engine I have two spare :thumbup: and can advertise if req'd, can also build these to spec..

Best Regards

Andy

Angel,

With the Meg gearbox is the mount to the car sub-frame the Clio or the Meg item? or is it just the lower gearbox mount that bolts direct to gearbox that is Meg?

Cheers

There is a thread of wiring, parts required that I wrote in the How To section..

If you require a Meg engine I have two spare :thumbup: and can advertise if req'd, can also build these to spec..

Best Regards

Andy

If changing over to the Megane gearbox you'll also need to change to the Megane gearbox mount :smile:

If changing over to the Megane gearbox you'll also need to change to the Megane gearbox mount :smile:

Do you know is that the upper, lower or both?
lower is bolted to gearbox with a threaded stud coming out from the top, upper is bolted to the car sub-frame with space for the stud to pass through.

Cheers Andy

Was just gonna say Angel and Shakey are the best people for this

Fountains of know how

Do you know is that the upper, lower or both?
lower is bolted to gearbox with a threaded stud coming out from the top, upper is bolted to the car sub-frame with space for the stud to pass through.

Cheers Andy

That'll be the upper.. The lower torque bar is the same for both Meg and Clio :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the list, copied it into word to start pricing it all up :O I take it the list would be the same for 250/265 engine?

if you use the megane gearbox you'll also need a megane selector and part of the megane gear stick that moves the lock to allow you to select reverse as its on opersite side on gear stick.

From my experience, buy the 250 engine. Its future proof if you want more power therefore, its cheaper in the long run. Also with most 225 conversions, they end up changing the turbo for the 250 unit which is another £300+. The conversion will always be limited to 300bhp, and 300ftlb. The 250 with just a remap will see another 340ftlb.

Gearbox is an on-going debate. As you would expect you can get through the Clio gears quicker but not sure that means you actually going faster. Thats the same with the clio box and NA engine. I think its a bit placebo but who knows. Also the meg gearbox is a stronger unit. I went for the meg R26 gearbox cause it comes standard with the diff which is absolutely awesome and because I'm 'tight', again less money for conversion. Fit a diff to the Clio box, and that is another £1000.

Heard good things about SteC intercooler kit, which if I havent sold my car will be something I'd consider, given mine gave me problems dealing with really ambient temps on really hot days.

Despite what you may have read, its not 'plug and play'. I've known the ins and outs of most of lots of the conversions done to date and each tells it own story. The knowledge of the Meg engine fitting into the Clio has been around a lot longer than the actually conversion being undertaken. The barrier was not the engineering, but was the ability to 'mate' the Meg ECU (only the Meg R26 Ecu) with the Clio loom in order that everything works, including and most importantly the immobiliser systems.

I think people genuinely forget the development work that goes on that allows these conversions to now be so readily available. Furthermore, there is only one turner that made this conversion available to the DIY mechanic who can do the engineering bit (or get someone else to do it) without having to pay crazy money to sort the ECU out.

I think there needs to be some acknowledgement that in reality 70% of these conversions would not be done without SteC's input.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus
How did you guys mount the lower torque link in combination with a megane gearbox? The engine has a mount on the sump, but the subframe mount is about 30cm off to the nearside?

The subframe is from a x85 cup racer, I think you guys have some extra material for assembling the torque link at the drivers side subframe?

Last edited:
Good evening, does anyone have a engine wiring diagram for converting phase 1megane 225 loom to 197 or does it have to be a phase 2 loom ? Happy to pay for info, cheers

Well it took a whole week but I got it done , managed wiring myself, fitted engine/box etc , fitted megane ecu, bcu, steering lock and key card , started first press and all seems good

Attachments

• B6C22F9A-F380-4A1C-9B45-9CBD81226D09.jpeg
    B6C22F9A-F380-4A1C-9B45-9CBD81226D09.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 101
  • 993C6157-0E18-481C-9352-5ADC7878AB01.jpeg
    993C6157-0E18-481C-9352-5ADC7878AB01.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 104
  • B479BE63-5CC8-4E89-89E5-939F437E4587.jpeg
    B479BE63-5CC8-4E89-89E5-939F437E4587.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 99
Reactions: Big Ben and Sean197
Looks good, did you start with the Meg loom or clio loom?. Can see people have done both.

Ta,

Gax

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk