Mayo in PCV valve

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
Decided to take my PCV valve off and give it a clean before I bought a new one as it's doing that annoying squeaking noise when the engines cold.

Once I took it off I noticed 'mayo' around the PCV valve and inside the tube.

Now I know this happens water mixes with engine oil... and I'm slightly concerned that waters getting inside somehow but I've got no idea how?!

Here's a few pics of what I mean.

Ox4ERRql.jpg

qphresGl.jpg

Anybody have any ideas, should I be concerned?

My plan is to clean it and refit it and see if it happens again, as it might have been there a while from when the car was sat unused for 3 months.

Dale.

Last edited:
Not sure if it helps, but a lass had the same thing in her oil catch can on the other forum so I'm assuming it's normal?

Reactions: Dystant
Yeah did a bit of research and apparently it's normal... given it a proper clean nontheless it was disgusting inside the PCV valve...

1LA4P1p.jpg

as the engine warms up and cools down there is a certain amount of "moisture" in the air circulated in the crankcase/inlet and it will collect in usually the pcv system on some cars...others it collect on the oil cap/cam cover

as the engine warms up and cools down there is a certain amount of "moisture" in the air circulated in the crankcase/inlet and it will collect in usually the pcv system on some cars...others it collect on the oil cap/cam cover

Reckon excessive collection in both the PCV valve and the pipe that connects it back into the engine could cause rough idling and dipping revs?

I'm asking because after I've cleaned them both and put them back on the cars running a significant amount smoother than it was, and I was having the revs dip really low when taking off in first which is no longer happening.

Reckon excessive collection in both the PCV valve and the pipe that connects it back into the engine could cause rough idling and dipping revs?

I'm asking because after I've cleaned them both and put them back on the cars running a significant amount smoother than it was, and I was having the revs dip really low when taking off in first which is no longer happening.

possible yes

have you also cleaned the throttle valve?

possible yes

have you also cleaned the throttle valve?

I cleaned the throttle valve and body a few weeks back with some carb cleaner, it helped my rough/low idle a little bit.

Cleaning this PCV valve has made a bigger difference though.

Or maybe it's a combination of the two.

Dale stick your name down for one of Shuvs alarm brackets that he's making.

I'm guessing you saw it one of the pics above, it's bloody horrible isn't it :tearsofjoy:

I'm debating whether to get one of Shuvs or spray it myself...

Can't go wrong for a tenner mate.

Will have a look at my PCV valve after reading this.

Yeah I'd recommend it, only took me 15 minutes to disconnect it, take it apart and clean it.

Might make a guide in the how to section, it's pretty simple.

@foxspeed
what do you mean by thorttle valve?
@Dystant
so the cleaning sovled your squeaking noises?

Yeah mate cleaning mine got rid of the squeaking completely, but I think mine was a bit of an extreme case as it was full of gunk.

If yours is squeaking though it's worth a try cleaning it. If that doesn't work I read somewhere on here replacing the o rings can also fix it.

Just seen the guide in another post, great work Dale, and love your name tag :tearsofjoy:

Is there anything within the household that could be used instead of carb cleaner?

Just seen the guide in another post, great work Dale, and love your name tag :tearsofjoy:

Is there anything within the household that could be used instead of carb cleaner?

Old toothbrush, fairy liquid and hot-water cleaned mine a treat. Was all to hand at the kitchen sink too !

Pipe: i just squirted some fairly liquid into and then "rodded" with a few long drink straws to agitate the mayo. Rinsed out with fairly liquid and hot water a few times and finally rolled and screwed up some kitchen roll that i got down the pipe from either end to clear out any remainder / to dry it.

10 minute job all in.

Haha yeah after the detailing bug bit @sevenfourate came up with it and then @Jimmy changed it for me, I love it :tearsofjoy:

I think, and don't quote me on this one, but WD40 can be used as a degreaser?

Edit: or just do as Shuv has done above :smile: I used carb cleaner because it evaporates itself so it's easier.

Reactions: Jimmy

Similar Thread Suggestions