197: Manual to Digital Heater

MarkTeamF1

POTM Winner - March 2017
It's more curiosity if anything. Everytime I see someone with a digital heating unit I get a little bit jealous.

I have a manual heating unit, is there anyway of converting it to digital. Has anyone done it and if you have, how?

Cheers

Reactions: Christopher
I'm fairly sure it's more than just the panel. They have a temp sensor for the climate control in the roof liner as well as different connections around the back of the dash. If you could find a climate car that's breaking and trace it right back to the loom, it'd probably swap in just fine.

I don't blame you though, the non-climate panel looks so dated in comparison. Plus it's handy to just bang it on 19 degrees and leave it, it just maintains itself. :smiley:

I'm fairly sure it's more than just the panel. They have a temp sensor for the climate control in the roof liner as well as different connections around the back of the dash. If you could find a climate car that's breaking and trace it right back to the loom, it'd probably swap in just fine.

I don't blame you though, the non-climate panel looks so dated in comparison. Plus it's handy to just bang it on 19 degrees and leave it, it just maintains itself. :smiley:

I did some deep searchning yesterday apparently you need an ECU with it on or something as well as the facia, unit, loom and sensors :worried:

I'm glad you can see my point of view, It's all I ever wanted... sad face haha! In all seriousness, it would be an awesome upgrade!

I did some deep searchning yesterday apparently you need an ECU with it on or something as well as the facia, unit, loom and sensors :worried:

I'm glad you can see my point of view, It's all I ever wanted... sad face haha! In all seriousness, it would be an awesome upgrade!

Yeah, thought as much. If it was such an easy swap then everyone would be after them.

It's a handy thing to have in the summer, I love it. The best thing to do would be to search out a Mk3 that's being broken, then buy everything back to the UCH/ECU and try swapping it all. It'd be a pricey job for you though. :worried:

Yeah, thought as much. If it was such an easy swap then everyone would be after them.

It's a handy thing to have in the summer, I love it. The best thing to do would be to search out a Mk3 that's being broken, then buy everything back to the UCH/ECU and try swapping it all. It'd be a pricey job for you though. :worried:

I'll do some digging, and probably realise the cost and just keep my AC poverty spec :wink:

Story of my life....

When I bought my car back in 2011 it ticked all the boxes (low mileage, R27, colour, unmodified and still in warrany, extended warranty that is) apart from this! It just do my head in, that's the only thing I hate on my car, in fact i can't even look at it, it's that bad!

I can't believe that back in 2007 Renault would sell a car with knobs taken from the 90s lol. I also can't believe that auto lights, corner lights, auto wipers and climate was a £350 option and people would not spec it when buying new! WTF!

Anyway, I started digging into doing the conversion and as Christopher suggested it's not plug and play. Someone did it (i'll see whether I can find the link) and they literally took the whole car apart, ECU, sensors, wiring the whole lot. It's really not worth it so I ditched the idea straight away.

Good luck though!

Story of my life....

When I bought my car back in 2011 it ticked all the boxes (low mileage, R27, colour, unmodified and still in warrany, extended warranty that is) apart from this! It just do my head in, that's the only thing I hate on my car, in fact i can't even look at it, it's that bad!

I can't believe that back in 2007 Renault would sell a car with knobs taken from the 90s lol. I also can't believe that auto lights, corner lights, auto wipers and climate was a £350 option and people would not spec it when buying new! WTF!

Anyway, I started digging into doing the conversion and as Christopher suggested it's not plug and play. Someone did it (i'll see whether I can find the link) and they literally took the whole car apart, ECU, sensors, wiring the whole lot. It's really not worth it so I ditched the idea straight away.

Good luck though!

Maybe not! I guess I'll cope haha!

It's a mod I would like to do but I think it was a £150 option when new and depends on the UCH. As far as I can see the dash loom, heater box is needed with motorised flaps, the temp sensor normally in the rear view mirror assembly for auto headlights so a windscreen change if you don't have auto headlights.

Reactions: MarkTeamF1
It should have been standard fit.

The main reason that I ordered mine new was because I couldn't find a nearly new one with the options I wanted! They're nearly all pov-spec.

What would I need mate?
You'll need both door looms, both door mirrors and the mirror switch on the driver's side as the new one will have a third position on the bottom to fold the mirrors in. I was lucky that I got everything in a bundle but prior to that, when I was looking for the parts, it was a headache dealing with breakers on ebay and unfortunately most 197s that were being broken were miles away for me to get the parts off the car myself.

Reactions: Yiannis197
You'll need both door looms, both door mirrors and the mirror switch on the driver's side as the new one will have a third position on the bottom to fold the mirrors in. I was lucky that I got everything in a bundle but prior to that, when I was looking for the parts, it was a headache dealing with breakers on ebay and unfortunately most 197s that were being broken were miles away for me to get the parts off the car myself.
Cheers mate. To buy all that new would cost a fortune no doubt. I take it the colour coded mirror cover just pop off?

Cheers mate. To buy all that new would cost a fortune no doubt. I take it the colour coded mirror cover just pop off?
No worries :smile: Yeap the mirror covers come off so you won't need to worry about getting them resprayed.