LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

I can very easily swap, so if someone can lend me a V6 airbox and hose for the 7th of March I will test them back to back when I am back at my accurate rolling road again to verify the results from the builders when they are done.
That would be the best way to find out.

I really do not believe that even the existing setup is a restriction when we talk for just north of 220 bhp let alone one which is rated for nearly 300bhp. People praise the V6 airbox but what we don't know is what was the real reason Renault fitted it on the cup racers. Was it because the V6 is actually better or was it because the cup racers don't have the battery in the front anyway and they could do without all the other bits that the OEM comes with (acoustic valve, resonators, loads of hoses etc). Renault had the V6 box on the shelves from the V6 Clio anyway so what tells me that they didn't just chose this setup because of its simplicity...? An easy solution possibly?

Also, moving the battery elsewhere is a pain plus you'd end up with more cables (more weight as well) running from inside the cabin which is not ideal. You can run a smaller battery side by side with the V6 box but again...Rich's application possibly requires a bigger battery due to increased compression.

Raptor, you mentioned that the V6 box made a massive difference on the road, this must be an overstatement surely (no disrespect to your personal review of course). Not even my cams + mapping made a massive difference on my car let alone a bolt on airbox. I wouldn't even go as far as saying that the gained 2-3 bhp are even noticeable...

Also, the airbox of the Maxi Evo is great but this is just for that application, for a race car that is designed to spend most of it's life over 6k+rpm. it wouldn't be applicable on a road car as Simo has proven in the past as the losses in the midrange are quite noticeable.

Rich, out of curiosity how much did that setup take you back?

Just to close (sorry for the long post) I've read it so many times in the forums by people known in the field that the intake of our cars is not a restriction at all so every mod in regards to that is pointless, just like the TB mod...For the record, I'm running K-tec induction setup which ''showed'' +3bhp on before and after runs, obviously and totally expectedly I didn't realise a thing. it sounds great and this is why I bought it. Ah, and I've also had my inlets matched, guess what, I noticed **** all lol!

I found the difference of 3 car lengths before and after just the airbox - a big/massive difference.
Don't know, it's a relative term obviously.

Before and after every mod that I did in the car I did a dyno run and runs before/after with my friends in the same conditions because I don't care about the paper horses and gains but the ones on the street.

I found quite the contrary - every mod (except the 64mm TB) on the intake of my car gave me more power and better throttle response.

And it's not about the peak power but the power range.

You have my topic and you can read all about it.

I'm not a man of theory but practice. I like to see it all on the road.

Last edited:
I think that Maxi EVO has only better air intake because of a direct air flow to the airbox. The filter and the back panel of the airbox are all the same. I don't like the angle of the plastic connecting the airbox to the TB.

And if I remember correctly, Simo switched from V6 to R3 and back.

No the back panel is not the same, you can see the Maxi Evo has a shorter but smoother curve, the Maxi has a longer pipe with 2 bends. Also the Evo version is a single piece. The only thing that is the same is the actual filter.
What don't you like about the Evo setup? The angle?? I get the impression you don't like anything but the v6!! :smiley:

I'm not familar with Simo's inlet setups? Is it all in his huge thread on here!?

I really do not believe that even the existing setup is a restriction when we talk for just north of 220 bhp let alone one which is rated for nearly 300bhp. People praise the V6 airbox but what we don't know is what was the real reason Renault fitted it on the cup racers. Was it because the V6 is actually better or was it because the cup racers don't have the battery in the front anyway and they could do without all the other bits that the OEM comes with (acoustic valve, resonators, loads of hoses etc). Renault had the V6 box on the shelves from the V6 Clio anyway so what tells me that they didn't just chose this setup because of its simplicity...? An easy solution possibly?

Also, moving the battery elsewhere is a pain plus you'd end up with more cables (more weight as well) running from inside the cabin which is not ideal. You can run a smaller battery side by side with the V6 box but again...Rich's application possibly requires a bigger battery due to increased compression.

Raptor, you mentioned that the V6 box made a massive difference on the road, this must be an overstatement surely (no disrespect to your personal review of course). Not even my cams + mapping made a massive difference on my car let alone a bolt on airbox. I wouldn't even go as far as saying that the gained 2-3 bhp are even noticeable...

Also, the airbox of the Maxi Evo is great but this is just for that application, for a race car that is designed to spend most of it's life over 6k+rpm. it wouldn't be applicable on a road car as Simo has proven in the past as the losses in the midrange are quite noticeable.

Rich, out of curiosity how much did that setup take you back?

Just to close (sorry for the long post) I've read it so many times in the forums by people known in the field that the intake of our cars is not a restriction at all so every mod in regards to that is pointless, just like the TB mod...For the record, I'm running K-tec induction setup which ''showed'' +3bhp on before and after runs, obviously and totally expectedly I didn't realise a thing. it sounds great and this is why I bought it. Ah, and I've also had my inlets matched, guess what, I noticed **** all lol!

I've always read and been under the impression the standard setup was crap as it is shared with the basic small engined Clio's etc. Perhaps not, but the Madeno and Ktec kits both of the same design seem to get decent power, I should have just fitted the Ktec but I thought I could improve and then it got expensive...! The ITG filter and box was £300, the battery and cage was £165.

Stupid money and not even sure 100% how good it will be. I know my engine should push 220-230, so if it makes less I will do my best to get hold of a v6 and run it up on the RR back to back. Maybe try a Ktec too. On the rollers and with the room from the smaller battery, it would take minuites to just quickly swap between the setups.

I like the EVO very much just didn't have the chance to buy it cheap because I wasn't ready to give 600€ for 2-3bhp more than my V6 setup.

I found the difference of 3 car lengths before and after just the airbox - a big/massive difference.

3 car lengths - even though this is not a realistic way of evaluating any given mod - require more than 3 bhp...This power increase can really not be felt. And when you say 3 car lengths, is this up to 60mph? 80? 120? So many variables on play with such a test.

I've always read and been under the impression the standard setup was crap as it is shared with the basic small engined Clio's etc. Perhaps not, but the Madeno and Ktec kits both of the same design seem to get decent power, I should have just fitted the Ktec but I thought I could improve and then it got expensive...! The ITG filter and box was £300, the battery and cage was £165.

Stupid money and not even sure 100% how good it will be. I know my engine should push 220-230, so if it makes less I will do my best to get hold of a v6 and run it up on the RR back to back. Maybe try a Ktec too. On the rollers and with the room from the smaller battery, it would take minuites to just quickly swap between the setups.

I don't believe the Ktec is as good as yours tbh, that being an open one. The shield is good but I don't think is as good as a closed box. Either way, it will be very interesting to see. Also it would be very interesting to see what the OEM induction setup would show...

btw that airbox topic reminds me of ''the Schrick cams are better than catcams'' discussion only for a member in here to go and check them side by side and prove that they actually offer the same gains, with the Schrick ones obviously not being able to justify their pricetag. As you say, with the targeted power your setup will more than suffice.

I like the EVO very much just didn't have the chance to buy it cheap because I wasn't ready to give 600€ for 2-3bhp more than my V6 setup.

€381 from that French company, carbon too.

I don't believe the Ktec is as good as yours tbh, that being an open one. The shield is good but I don't think is as good as a closed box. Either way, it will be very interesting to see. Also it would be very interesting to see what the OEM induction setup would show...

I hope so, I bloody hope so as if not I'll be pissed! I did a similar thing years ago but with a carbon BMC setup, made 4bhp less than my OEM airbox with a K&N panel, sold it the next day!

btw that airbox topic reminds me of ''the Schrick cams are better than catcams'' discussion only for a member in here to go and check them side by side and prove that they actually offer the same gains, with the Schrick ones obviously not being able to justify their pricetag. As you say, with the targeted power your setup will more than suffice.

yeah exactly, the point at large is both will be capable of the job at hand so shouldn't see any difference. The only way I could improve mine is using a stiffer smooth samco style TB hose. I tried the JS performance hose but it wasnt quite the right angle so kinked. It didn't drop low enough so it would require going to Samco and getting it made - I'm sure that would requiring bending over to take it regards costs though!

3 car lengths - even though this is not a realistic way of evaluating any given mod - require more than 3 bhp...This power increase can really not be felt. And when you say 3 car lengths, is this up to 60mph? 80? 120? So many variables on play with such a test.

I got 5bhp more peak power, and 12Nm torque - but look at the curve:

Clio-197---Miltek--V6-airbox--lightweight-flywheel--remap-VS-Miltek--remap.jpg

We always do 50-200 & 100-200km/h runs to minimise driver influence. Always against the same cars at the same place with the same amount of fuel (give or take 10L).

Thats about the same gain the Madeno, ktec and other ITG guys get Vs Stock.
In 'theory' mine should improve over those because it's sheilded vs the Madeno/ktec and Vs the other ITG setups I'm not using a 90deg elbow on the TB post filter.

I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between any of them, either on the RR - even less so on the road. They are all going to be about 5bhp.

I'm talking also about HOW they deliver the power/torque. I believe they're not the same. However, we will never know.

It's better if we don't go further in off topic - I'm really looking forward to seeing this project come alive. :thumbup1:

It's good to have the conversation, dont worry about off topic or not mate - tough this is all on topic but yeah I think we just need to see how it performs before we can debate more.

My website is there if anyone wants to just look at the pictures and installation of the bits etc. In here is for the banter :smile:

I'll be watching this with great interest. Should be great when finished. Must have a blast around west meon again in the summer with [MENTION=4121]John1006[/MENTION]

Yeah indeed, I'll try and not come close to a high speed crash with a police car pulling out of a blind junction next time too!
Another 5 seconds further back down the road and he'd of been properly out that junction and I'd probably have killed his passenger...... Ass time in jail for killing the 5-O I reckon!

I'll be watching this with great interest. Should be great when finished. Must have a blast around west meon again in the summer with @John1006

For sure Stephen. And rich you were a lucky boy.

So so cams in now then? I'd love that R3 air box, they do a good deal on a few?? And we'll sell them on? ;-)

Yeah if they reply I can ask them for a multi buy, but I don't think we'll find anyone to buy them!

Well it would appear I have a self healing engine, I am confussed to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!

Picture down the bore scope......
pistons-300x225.jpg

Pictures with the head off (tipx marks show cyl number)........
IMG_3773-150x150.jpgIMG_3774-150x150.jpgIMG_3775-150x150.jpgIMG_3776-150x150.jpg

Errrrrr wheres the damage??? How on earth have the pistons reassembled themselves? Also 2 different compression testers have shown it to be 160-170psi?!?

I said sod it and plough on with the 83mm overbore anyway! Don't want to back track from the spec even though changes are the pistons and block are infact ok?!

Just requesting the pricing for this in induvidual sections..... I think I can something special with just the front section with the filter, maybe the middle too and cut it up.

This is only €381 for all 3 parts. So just the inlet part isn't going to be too much, is it!!?

boite-a-air-moteur-renault-clio-rs3.jpg

Where do you purchase something like this ...?

[MENTION=51445]Kazumz[/MENTION] just stick to the ktec induction for your car..

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0