LY Project Cup

Been keeping my eye out for a 200 cup as a run around for a while, now the M3 has become un-enjoyable on the road I just needed a normal car for social use.

I'd never really been that keen on the 200 shape was more of a 197 fan, but after chatting to a few people that have and currently own them they really grew on me, especially the full Cup model.

In the colour choice White was actually on the top of my list but I just couldn't find a tidy example with the spec I wanted. Prices were also very up and down.

Exchanged a few Pm's with a fellow forum member that had a LY 200 cup he needed to sell, turn out to be a solid car and a true gentleman seller so a deal was struck and now here we are.

E272658E-8255-477B-8814-89AE1E3EF28A_zpsmeuum5j8.jpg

After viewing the car for the first time I went away and brought another private plate

7F424B32-A96E-4D38-B735-8065A03CF5A9_zpstijks9et.jpg

Turns out we'd crossed paths before

DAE7EFFB-8B3F-45AB-869E-E47A2DBD7620_zpsnygjc2rp.jpg

Came with a full undercar Akrapovic exhaust system that I will be removing and putting up for sale. Sounds awesome but I've already one loud car, don't need another. Also has powerflex engine mounts that will be coming out too.

One thing that is going to bug me is factory tinted rear windows. Think I'll try source some clears from car being broken.

Sounds odd but actually really looking for to having a normal(ish) car to drive around in.

Sam

Last edited:
Pleased you've managed to pick one up. Slightly different proposition from your M but you'll be able to drive this to its limits on a more regular basis!

Reactions: TrackM3
Glad you've found the right one after searching for a while..... :smile:

Why removing the Powerflex bushes though ? With all the manifold (Flexi's) issue's on these cars - and the pressure put on them by the standard bushes- that allows the engine to move ss much.............Even on an otherwise standard car; they seem a very prudent and worthwhile addition to me.

Either way; Good luck with the car Sam.

Glad you've found the right one after searching for a while..... :smile:

Why removing the Powerflex bushes though ? With all the manifold (Flexi's) issue's on these cars - and the pressure put on them by the standard bushes- that allows the engine to move ss much.............Even on an otherwise standard car; they seem a very prudent and worthwhile addition to me.

Either way; Good luck with the car Sam.

Agreed.
So much better on my daily 197, upper mount insert, lower mount insert and gearbox mount insert - a changed car.
Would advise to keep the powerflexes mate.

Otherwise good luck with it, seems like a great example. Do let us know when you'll be removing Akra :wink:

Hi Sam,

glad you have found your perfect every day car..hope you are happy with it..which powerflex mounts are on it??

Last edited:
If its just the upper torque arm and lower engine mount,I'd leave them on..they will only protect tour flexis and make the car feel more compact..no real danger to the ride comfort..

Lovely car!

Wouldnt be selling the akra though, its such a good exhaust and its relatively quiet until you want it to be loud!

Nice one Sam, glad you've found an example that really appealed to you. Always a bonus when it's from a seller that is a decent person as well!

As above, the mounts are well worth keeping on from a preventative-maintenance point of view - understandable you would want to take them off if you're looking for a comfier experience, but the vibrations do wear off after a while.

Best of luck with the car, hope you enjoy it!

Already said this elsewhere but GREAT purchase Sam. Am I right in thinking that you have bought a 1 of 1 LY Cup?

Also that's so cool you've come upon this very car while on track in the ///M.

Finally, I can't advise strongly enough how silly I think you'd be to sell that exhaust. See how you get on with it for a few months at least. As Ben pointed out, you've started a build thread... You'll end up wanting it back if you sell it I reckon. Plus you're going to lose a bit of sparkle from the car by taking it off. Don't do it mate. At least not immediately.

Awesome car. Really looking forward to "the build" :smiley:

Very nice, and a good colour for resale value too.
As said above, I'd keep the Powerflex mounts to prolong the manifold life, just the lower and torque mounts should be sufficient to keep things nice and tight, and as an added bonus they make it feel more 'connected' to drive too.
If you're keeping it standard you'd easily get 7-800 quid for the Akra, depends what you want from the car overall really.

Main reason for reverting the exhaust back to stock is down to one little dog who hates loud exhausts. Every time I take him out in the M3 he literally has a panic attack and curls up in a ball in the foot well, can't do that to him in two different cars.

Regarding the engine mounts, going back to the M3 again. I run Vibra-Technic engine & gearbox and completely solid ally rear subframe and diff yet the clio vibrates more though the car with powerflex mounts. John did tell me about the flexi's going in the manifold, think to start I'll take one mount out at a time, starting with the upper torque arm then lower dog bone insert, then to be honest I'll probably leave the two chassis leg mounts just a more work is involved to remove them.

Lets face it, I brought another car as needed a normal run about but I couldn't bring myself to buying something boring, with these few tweaks think this clio will be a joy to drive.

Spent today getting to know the car a little

A9ED720D-E6E9-4D0B-9B93-46BA6958C602_zpsazoftfgx.jpg

Thought I see what kind of reaction some IronX would have

F01486EA-43F5-4D15-9614-571AA9F06711_zpsjhthxdnc.jpg

(previous owners photo)

F3E0FD54-B16A-4EA5-A0DF-FD6E26292D79_zpsqs6qvbms.jpg

On removing the inner boot trim to de-wiper the rear I discovered the tints aren't in fact factory.

257AD62E-58D9-4A98-AC51-736E11785516_zpslvkam70o.jpg

Lovely to be able to see the Recaros from the rear now

D6823391-5824-4193-A973-67CB989A8F47_zps5zjkdwwh.jpg

Next thing that was annoying me was the faded and cracking B pillar sticker, this is going to be a pain to remove but I'll get there in the end

1038924E-95B9-40C3-B0BB-7BE7BC1C5141_zpscdaj32lr.jpg

Once that's done I'll remove the front scuttle to clean under there just to make sure it not blocking up.

Reactions: peter
Already said this elsewhere but GREAT purchase Sam. Am I right in thinking that you have bought a 1 of 1 LY Cup?

Also that's so cool you've come upon this very car while on track in the ///M.

Finally, I can't advise strongly enough how silly I think you'd be to sell that exhaust. See how you get on with it for a few months at least. As Ben pointed out, you've started a build thread... You'll end up wanting it back if you sell it I reckon. Plus you're going to lose a bit of sparkle from the car by taking it off. Don't do it mate. At least not immediately.

Awesome car. Really looking forward to "the build" :smiley:

I am sure this is the only 200 LY in cup spec, my friend owned it from new and remember him telling me about that.

Reactions: TrackM3 and ///M
Very nice. Another shout for the Akrapovic, do not sell! I didn't find it louder than stock when plodding along.

Re vibrations, most of them are caused by the main engine one so if I was you I'd remove that one first.

Iron x is good gear isn't it! Looks so much better with out the tints, I'm like you, love seeing the outline of the recaro seats from the rear :smile:

Ordered some new B pillar trims, looks little off without them

F475FA24-DDE1-453E-B991-0B7A268A2761_zpszxbv8ych.jpg

Akrapovic full system will be coming off this weekend. Will be sticking the car in the air and cleaning out all the wheel arches ect.

B146E6C6-35F1-4921-8B17-247537161A01_zpscc7kcivz.jpg

Got some more sticky pads to mount front plate

6639E08B-34A3-4AE1-89DB-2B6978CB4C81_zpsnuk59le6.jpg