Lowering steering wheel

pdd144c

Paid Member
Any Clio 200 owners played around with the steering wheel position? Just fitted some new bucket seats and the wheel sits way too high even on the lowest setting. Will be even worse once I fit my new OMP dished wheel. Anything unbolt easily to add a spacer in? Would start stripping it down now but I'm running out of light... Do the Race cars run something different to allow this?

Cheers

Paul.

Steering column is bolted to the bar under the dashboard (it is held by 4 bolts). You can add some spacers. Race cars don't have that bar, steering column is bolted in a same manner but directly to the cage. In such case mounting points are much lower than in a road car hence the steering position.

Yeah it's easy enough, not fitted the spacers yet but stripped it down. Literally as simple as move door seal, pull side panel off, unscrew two screws in trim around the steering wheel, pull the thin trim off the bottom panel, undo the three screws holding this panel on, then pull off from centre consol side. Unplug switches and you're there. Four nuts hold it on, need all four off to get the column off to fit spacers to the front. Reckon you'll get 10mm odd spacer in ok and still retain all the standard locator bits.

Haha it's been dark every night by the time I've got home Chris!

Yeah it's easy enough, not fitted the spacers yet but stripped it down. Literally as simple as move door seal, pull side panel off, unscrew two screws in trim around the steering wheel, pull the thin trim off the bottom panel, undo the three screws holding this panel on, then pull off from centre consol side. Unplug switches and you're there. Four nuts hold it on, need all four off to get the column off to fit spacers to the front. Reckon you'll get 10mm odd spacer in ok and still retain all the standard locator bits.

Haha it's been dark every night by the time I've got home Chris!

sounds like a "how to" with pictures needs to be done !!