Low idle & potential to stall.

Hey guy.

Have a RS200 Cup and it has a idle issue. It's there whenever hot or cold but fine on first start up.
I start the car and it starts fine, pulls away fine. At a junction or traffic lights the revs drop real low around 500rpm. The car sometimes will revs itself back up to stop the stalling. Thankfully it has not stalled yet! Pulling away seams to need more throttle. It vibrates a lot too! But may be down to the new solid engine mounts but I'm sure it should vibrate as much as it does.

Taken the throttle body out and it looks clean.
Could it be a thermostat issue, sensor issue, coils?
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Many thanks in advance.

Mine also does this, and it even stops power to my amp for a spilt second, quite annoying. I haven't looked into it as of yet though.

Reactions: R27SG
Mine did this, I popped the TDC sensor out, cleaned it with WD40, popped it back in and it’s never done it again.

I’ve also noticed an improvement in power delivery. Sometimes it felt down on power prior to this.

It’s a 45 minutes job.

The sensor is located at the lower front of the engine at the join between the engine and gearbox.

There is an access point in the front under-tray directly underneath it.

Jack the car up and place an axle stand at the front nearside jacking point. Did not crawl under the car only using a jack!

Crawl underneath the front (a head torch is invaluable here)

It’s still quite difficult to see, I did mine mostly by feel.

It’s attached by a 10mm (I think) bolt.

Try to undo the block connector first so that you don’t snag the wiring with your socket ratchet.

From memory, the bolt is quite long and access limited which meant it took me a good few minutes to undo the bolt and release the sensor.

Clean it up with WD40 and spray some WD in the socket and plug connectors. As the sensor is on the front of the engine, it’s open to water spray which may disrupt the contact.

Fitting is the reverse. If it persists. It may need replacing. There are many threads re this, and it seems OEM is the best as pattern parts have been known to cause poor running.

This tiny sensor tells the ECU when to spark and fuel, so can cause very poor running, or failure to run completely.

I was really disappointed in the car’s performance prior to cleaning my sensor. It’s power felt down and inconsistent. This not only prevented my stalling, but appeared to improve power too. It always felt like it was holding back a bit.

If you’ve fitted a main solid engine mount, these do cause a lot of vibration at idle and high frequency vibration at speed. They also produce a considerable amount of noise. It sounds like the exhaust droning.

Last edited: