Lovely Night Out

moon1.gif

So i set the tripod up and caught a lovely shot of the moon.

As it came off the camera, no adjustments, sharpening etc. Just some cropping.

5538511360_d7e4fe5e93_o.png

This was my attempt from earlier on too. I took 3 exposures at 0 and +- 1.5 to capture a better contrast and it seemed to work fairly well.

Excellent, nice clarity on your shot Grumpy. Did you combine the image with HDR? I was also taking shots with AEB from -2 to +2, and it didnt seem to effect the outcome much.

Tomorrow will be lunar perigee. Tonight was just some test shots.

Also, i was using a Canon USM 2 75-300mm. Not the best glass to be honest. An ultrasonic L 500mm lens would be nice, but mega ££££.

Pretty happy with my results, considering i live right by Birmingham town centre, the light pollution is horrendous.

Last edited:
Wooooaaaahhhh!!!!

I am loving these pics!!!

I am wanting to do Astronomy and Planetary Science with Open Uni. I am big time in love with that kind of thing!!

Basically set the camera for bracket exposure, took a test shot to get the balance right. Shot off a tripod using the delayed shot function so it prevents any vibration from you and gives it time to settle on the tripod as the lens is pretty big:
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
canon-100-400mm-is.jpg

Used Picturenaut to combine the 3 images and fiddled with some of the settings to get a strong depth on the craters as well as to try and keep it sharpish. Simples :smile:

need the camera out tonight - moon will be the closest its ever been tonight apparantly !:clap:

WTF Grumpy?!?!

That looks more like bazoka than a camera!! :smiley:

I can see many more pics of the moon on here tonight then! :wink:

I thought I would have an attempt at it earlier this evening - not too bad for a 140mm lens I am sure you will agree :tongue_smilie:

LunarCrop.jpg

Last edited:
I should say there was 4x digital zoom too. Just to get the image to a visible size.

I really need to save up and buy their 100-300mm lens - it looks like a great piece of kit!