Locking wheel nuts - get rid?

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
Want to replace all bolts with some black ones as they're starting to rust, but the bloody locking wheel nut sticks out like a sore thumb...

Anybody remove them and replace with standard bolts? I know this means someone could easily come along and steal the alloys but I've not heard of this happening for a while... having said that I do live in Manchester so... :tearsofjoy:

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on this?

Removed mine so i could get plastic caps on every bolt on each wheel. Much better look.

On camera at work and garaged at night. If you want to steal my wheels - your welcome to try.........

Reactions: Dystant
I had to lose mine when one of them seized and had to be chiseled out. So standard bolts all round. As you've said, I haven't heard of anyone's car being left on bricks recently. There's always the possibility, however I'm of the opinion that if a criminal wants something bad enough, then he will find a way to get it.

If garages have 'skeleton' keys to get lockers off, then I'm sure the criminal fraternity have the same...

I bought a set of black wheel nuts that came with 4 locking bolts from ebay. I'll try and find the link

I'm going to throw in yet another TPI bolt comment. 16 standard, 4 locking, all in black (and durable) £40

TPI all day long!

Massive improvement over standard and bonus they lock and even bigger bonus they dont look like locking nuts!

I have a set to put on the 200t but not put them on yet!

Reactions: Dystant and Micah
I'd never risk it. Wouldn't want to come back to a scene like this
porsche-911-turbo-s-wheels-stolen-in-florida-hospital-s-parking-lot_1_zpsbpbjikhw.jpg

I get your point but Porsche alloys on a newer car like that are about 3/4 grand for a set aren't they?

Think I agree with everyone else as realistically I don't think anybody is going to risk stealing wheels from a Renault Clio.

VW and Audi have caps to cover the round locking bolt that match the other 4 caps.
I have them on my Mk5 GTI. They might work for you.

VW and Audi have caps to cover the round locking bolt that match the other 4 caps.
I have them on my Mk5 GTI. They might work for you.

The problem with the OEM locking nuts is that they're much larger in size than all the other bolts.

Cheers for everyone's replies! Will be replacing them all with those TPI ones as they look really good :smiley: