Locking wheel nut key nightmare....

Went to get my wheels off yesterday to fit braided lines and new fluid bleed.

Didn't get as far as getting the car in the air.

I had two new Tyres fitted to my car days before I bought it from the garage (ford main dealer in Manchester - some 220 miles from me)

Needless to say, the two new tyres wheel lots are on so tight we needed a breaker bar and an extension to crack them off. However the wheel nut key just kept sliding off (too much rotating force without being able to push the key to the nut equally as hard)

So, off to a local tyre and wheel shop with an airgun. Still no joy, wheel gun was just banging unable to turn. The car as a 17 mm and 19 mm keys, however one is now shattered in pieces, the other just slides off as it so butchered.

I call the dealer yesterday afternoon to log a complaint as they have clearly tightened these bolt far too hard with the supplied key unfit for purpose to remove. I seriously doubt a brand new key will do any better.

So, gonna see what the dealer principal has to say about the matter who is due to call me Monday.

My locking keys both have an "E" stamped on the back.

I'm in surbiton Surrey if anyone thinks they can help me out.

Not good. The Renault wheel nut keys are know to be a bit rubbish though it sounds like yours were done up way too tight. I really need to change mine to something like McGuard or similar as I didn't get the small box or a spare wheel nut key with my car.

My Old Audi A4 key was terrible, metal was so soft.

This is just so annoying though. So tight the whole flower head shatters is crazy!!!!

I've had mcguards before on other cars - 2 locking keys broke (the key part inside came away) so even they're not perfect :worried:

I have noticed my locking wheel nuts starting to wear out. I'm just going to not bother with it now because I don't want to have to risk them snapping off and need drilling out. I bought some wheel bolt covers from eBay for £12.99 so I don't have 4 rusty nuts and 1 pristine one on each wheel. I very rarely park my car anywhere over night other than my drive so I'm prepared to take my chances. Also I don't think alloy wheel theft is as prevalent as it once was, and the alloys that are nicked are mostly Audi/Bentley higher end stuff for Euromodders to put on their 1.6 Golf TDIs.

sounds daft but sometimes the best way to crack them off is to tighten them more ever so slightly first to brake the bite,give that a go mate,i work in the steel industry and that method happens and works a lot

its a bit like tapping a hole out,you should never just keep going in the same direction,especially when things are tight

Mine got ditched for normal bolts a long time ago, I'm not enticing anybody to nick them so I can get some oz's.... Honest.

sounds daft but sometimes the best way to crack them off is to tighten them more ever so slightly first to brake the bite,give that a go mate,i work in the steel industry and that method happens and works a lot

its a bit like tapping a hole out,you should never just keep going in the same direction,especially when things are tight

+1.

Seen many people shatter bits trying to tap instead of just easing it back out a bit. Oo-er!!! :smiley:

I have noticed my locking wheel nuts starting to wear out. I'm just going to not bother with it now because I don't want to have to risk them snapping off and need drilling out. I bought some wheel bolt covers from eBay for £12.99 so I don't have 4 rusty nuts and 1 pristine one on each wheel. I very rarely park my car anywhere over night other than my drive so I'm prepared to take my chances. Also I don't think alloy wheel theft is as prevalent as it once was, and the alloys that are nicked are mostly Audi/Bentley higher end stuff for Euromodders to put on their 1.6 Golf TDIs.

What size covers did you buy as there seem to be a few sizes?

It seems if theives want your wheels they'll break into the house, take the keys and drive the car away so wont pinch them off the drive? if they have your car + keys they'll have the locker anyway

Some good news I guess.

Firstly Renault can order a new key - just need to give them my code from the service book (sticker in the inside of he book with an "F" code)

The garage I bought it from have agreed to pay up to £200 towards the issue. So gong to a local alloy wheel company who can refurb any wheels should it be needed.

Ca is now booked into Renault Weybridge who have ordered a new key and said they can also look at brilling, tapping or "easy out" the bolt if need be.

My local Tyre guy was in histerics with his airgun in reverse trying to undo them. Just wont budge and were only put on 3 weeks ago! Tried two garages but they both declined to carry on with it at risk of breaking the key or wheel damage.

try over tightening all but the locking wheel nut to relieve pressure and add some nut loosener the night before.

I have had enough fo trying to deal with it myself. I run a huge risk of damaging wheel and locking nuts further. The wheel shops today both spent a good half horu each with various guns and wrenches, they just wont budge. The key is becoming very battered and slips off too easily now. Hopefully a new key with come bite and a steady hand will budge them at renault.

So, £153, a visit to a main dealer and a new locking wheel nut key from Renault (which is now unusable) the b*gegrs are off!!!!!

Well done for getting it sorted and paid for

Marshall Peugeot did the same to me, and the woman kept going "we work to strict guidelines and the job card says they were tightened to a specific torque."

********, it may say that but they were 100% gunned on!

Oh no doubt they were gunned on.

I took a closer look at the servicing/mechnics section fo the garage and they appear to do LCV's too. Many small 3 tonne vans etc have alrge wheel bolts and various fittings that require big bou levels of torque. Suspect they used way too much as a result.

Either way, they are off with no damage to wheels.

Similar Thread Suggestions