Lights won't turn off!!

Yiannis197

Paid Member
In need of some technical advice please. The lights of my car suddenly wouldn't work yesterday (dipped beam) and today the passenger's one won't turn off even when the car is locked. To work around it I just take battery pole off and back on again but is there something I can do? The electrics seem to have had it lol
I haven't got any fuses atm and probably won't do any work but I hope the status won't degrade up until I'm back from my trip:worried:

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thats not good Yiannis.

I'M SURE i've seen this happen before - i just had a quick search to see if i could find it; but came across nothing :-(

I'd be on the fuse possibility tomorrow if it was me !

Whens your Ring Trip ?

Thanks mate. That makes sense, my shout would the the stalk.
I haven't changed bulbs for years, I'm running an hid kit so I guess it's time to buy a new one..
When I'm back to London I'll strip the whole lot and thoroughly check, I'll buy a stalk from eBay just in case, you never know. Hopefully it's not something serious ie electronic issues etc

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Sure it will be something easy or simple! The 197s aren't as plagued with electrical gremlins as there pre descessors were (thank god!)

Reactions: Yiannis197
Thanks Chris, yes hope so. I managed to come back in one piece, I'll try and rectify this next weekend and see how it goes..

Reactions: Chris
Thanks Sean, I haven't even got near to the car since I came back but at the first opportunity I'll give it a go.

ok so updates on this.

Since I removed the battery pole and re fitted it the light won't stay on anymore but again, dipped lights won't work at all. Things I've done so far.

1. As per Stephen's suggestion I removed and swapped the relays in the main fuse box in the engine bay. These were a bit tight in there and I obviously managed to damage the plastic cover in my effort to pull them off. Definitely not impressed with myself. That didn't cure it.
2. I changed the passenger's sidelight and it's now working, wow, I gave myself a pat on the back for that. However that didn't cure the dipped lights:worried:Boooo
3. I swapped the ballasts in case they both somehow broke down, I had my doubts and as you can imagine, it didn't work either.
4. I then swapped the bulbs, in fact I used the ballast and bulb of the main lights that I know they work and connected them to the dipped ones. It didn't work either.
5. I checked all the fuses in the main fuse box one by one, there are no blown fuses there.

So it's not the bulbs or ballasts neither the fuses or relays. What's next? Should I go for a cheap stalk from ebay just to try out? Or is my best bets a new UPC unit? Either way now that I've checked all consumables it's definitely gonna be a warranty work..

Any suggestion or advice is greatly appreciated:smile:

EDIT.

I also found this wires in the fuse box here not connected to each other. Anyone knows anything about them?

34209376266_7df730179c_b.pngDSC_8374 by YiannisR27, on Flickr