Lighter wheels and offsets

av4625

Paid Member
I have been looking around for some lighter wheels for track. I'd love the OZ's but don't think my budget can stretch to those for track wheels. Was looking at something like the TD 1.2's as they are maybe a little more affordable. Anyone any other suggestions for affordable light wheels?

I have a quesiton about offsets, most of the aftermarket stuff has more of an offset so it is almost the same as running spacers with standard wheels.

I have an issue with this. I currently run cup 200 wheels. I run a 20mm spacer on the front and no spacer on the back. I find it much better at corner entry and mid corner without the rear spacers. But I like them on the front.

If I get after market wheels with more of an offset is it going to feel like driving with spacers on?

Last question, do must people run 7.5j or 8j? I run 225 R888R's on my 200 cup wheels, They would defo fit better on 8j wheels but then you lose a bit of the weight saving

Does that make them more sort after or less?

They've been superseded with Autec Club Racing, they look very similar to the Wizards but from memory they were slightly lighter (I remember checking a while back, 17x7.5 ET45 comparison)

Reactions: Big Ben
TD1.2s have never been the lightest aftermarket wheel, they're known for their strength though.

Unless you're racing I wouldn't be chasing weight too much, like don't get me wrong the Oz @ 7.2kg is great, but then when it's nearly £2k for a set, is it worth over double for 0.5kg saving for getting some Autec Club Racing wheels (their 17x7.5 wheels weight 7.7kg).

If you are happy to spend that much, then the Oz are what you want.

Another great wheel is the ProTrack One wheels, they're used in VLN racing at Nürburgring and I think they are 7.6kg in 17x7.5 ET45 (around £200/wheel)

Last edited:
I bought a set of ProTrack One's 7.5x17 (https://www.pro-track.de/) - weighed in as advertised at 7.6kgs per wheel. Pretty economical too. Only come in ET45, so you need to run a 40 section tire or you will have rubbing issues on the fender with a lowered car.

Reactions: suj and Onrus
Thanks for all the info, Like I say above the OZ's are really nice but I wouldn't stretch to that price. Going to have a look at the Autecs and ProTracks.

I use the car for sprints

Reactions: suj
I was using this as reference for the TD weights. I didn’t think that was too heavy? Are the OZ’s the only ones that are in the 7kg range?

View attachment 146832
I haven’t physically weighed my 1.2’s but they’re a fair bit heavier than my sparcos. Had wizards the set before and they were the lightest

I haven’t physically weighed my 1.2’s but they’re a fair bit heavier than my sparcos. Had wizards the set before and they were the lightest

I quite like the wizards and their price tag compared to the rest haha

The chances of finding any Pro Race wheels is vanishingly small.
All wheels will bend and break, just depends how hard you hit them and so it is not wrong to have more metal in the wheel to resist this.
If you went from a 11Kg wheel to 8Kg, you would notice the difference. Between 8 and 7 you are only likely to notice it in the wallet area.
What does a standard Speedline weigh? I think they are heavy when picked up.

Reactions: bedoef
Not sure what the speedlines are. But my car came with the standard 197 wheels which are super heavy. I picked up some 200 cup wheels as they are the lightest standard/renault wheels. Think they are in the 9kg range

Bola b2r in 17x7.5 is apparently 7.8kg and about £150 a wheel. Not a bad balance of weight and cost.

I went down to a 16 to save weight and money, not entirely straightforward though .