Light Upgrades

Guys, searched through a few previous threads and still have some outstanding questions regarding exterior lights.

I have reflector headlights, so have ordered a H7 HID Kit.

Side Lights are getting replaced with 2 x 501 SMD.

Slight confusion as to what I need to replace the front indicator lights with clear (non orange) bulbs. Looks like there are 4 bulbs in the front (2 each side) unless I'm missing something?

Leaving my high beam bulbs standard, as use rarely - unless anybody can suggest a good upgrade?

Finally read about number plate lights/interior/bottom of door lights - being slightly different in the 197's? Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers
JAM.

I replaced the bulbs in my normal headlight with Philips x-tream vision bulbs (not cheap but the best you can buy) and would fully recommend them for your main beam.

501's in side lights, reg lights, glove box, boot. Indicator bulbs are the offset pin one's. There's only one in each side, you're seeing a reflection. Speak to carbonfanatics he'll sort you out mate

Can i advise against HIDs in reflector headlights please and use decent quality bulbs. The light wont be focused and you'll be another car with retro fitted HIDs pissing the world off by dazzling them.

for the reg plate bulbs, it depends on your age as some use festoon bulbs. just check if they look the same as your sidelights, then they will be 501's. if there the long type, they they will be festoons either 39mm or 42mm.

Can i advise against HIDs in reflector headlights please and use decent quality bulbs. The light wont be focused and you'll be another car with retro fitted HIDs pissing the world off by dazzling them.

Agree, they won't pass MOT either. Only work in projectors I think, else they scatter the light miles away

each to there own! tis his car! :smile:

Yep, but its everyone else that he'll be dazzling and causing a hazard for. He's the only person this DOESN'T affect.

Not meaning to be harsh with the OP, but IMO the DVLA and MOT stations need to start coming down A LOT harder on people with this kind of HID/Reflector set up :chair:

Indeed it his car and I wasn't slating his choice, it was a comment from experience that could help I felt.

The Astra that I had as my last car came with HIDs and even though the lights were set up the best they could be, the beam was constantly on the wrong side of the road, so people would flash at you and the people in front would brake test/turn rear fogs on often.

Yep, but its everyone else that he'll be dazzling and causing a hazard for. He's the only person this DOESN'T affect.

Not meaning to be harsh with the OP, but IMO the DVLA and MOT stations need to start coming down A LOT harder on people with this kind of HID/Reflector set up :chair:

my personal experience with people that just put hid kits in non projector light is that they are not too bad. the worst thing with lights are the people who are driving around with them pointing at the sky and need adjusting.

BUT.... without projectors, the light looks poor and is not as 'crisp' look! :smile:

Indeed it his car and I wasn't slating his choice, it was a comment from experience that could help I felt.

The Astra that I had as my last car came with HIDs and even though the lights were set up the best they could be, the beam was constantly on the wrong side of the road, so people would flash at you and the people in front would brake test/turn rear fogs on often.

aha, agree with you there! made me laugh that story too!

my personal experience with people that just put hid kits in non projector light is that they are not too bad. the worst thing with lights are the people who are driving around with them pointing at the sky and need adjusting.

BUT.... without projectors, the light looks poor and is not as 'crisp' look! :smile:

I agree on the badly adjusted one, a lot of people don't take where they're driving and the conditions in when it comes to levelling.

The projects give a MUCH better beam pattern I think as its much more focused than the standard reflectors.

Wow! wasn't expecting all that. . . was after some advice. Had no idea that HID's would scatter and cause issues mentioned. Have since cancelled my order and gone for H7 halogen bulbs.