Knocking noise in steering

Heppy997

Paid Member
My car seems to have developed a knocking noise coming from the front of the car. It occurs at low speeds when turning the wheel and most notably when going over bumps. You can kinda feel it through the pedals.

Ive had the manifold replaced recently with a Toyosport one, at first I thought it might be this hitting the subframe, but i had upper and lower engine mounts done so it shouldn't be......also on full lock to the right, the inside of the wheel rubs against the control arm (?) so could it be the lower ball joint?

video: https://youtu.be/ylcWwEkZ9jg

Last edited:
[MENTION=51445]Kazumz[/MENTION] thought so :/ would it be worth changing the stabiliser links first to eliminate those? they are cheap enough to swap

Jack the car up and wiggle the wheel. If it wiggles horizontal then it's track rods or steering rack. If it wiggles back and forth vertically it will be ball joints.

Jack the car up and wiggle the wheel. If it wiggles horizontal then it's track rods or steering rack. If it wiggles back and forth vertically it will be ball joints.

Jacked the car up and theres some play in the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock but none at 12 and 6. would that suggest track rods rather than ball joint?

Jacked the car up and theres some play in the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock but none at 12 and 6. would that suggest track rods rather than ball joint?

It would, there can also be issues with the steering racks in these cars. My steering rack used to knock when I wiggled the wheel.

yup as above. There's also usually a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel when at a standstill or slow speeds if it's the balljoints. If you're lucky it's a track rod, if you're not then your rack is gone! The good news if it is a rack is that you now have the opportunity to fit a 200 cup rack, which is the best and also the cheapest.

yup as above. There's also usually a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel when at a standstill or slow speeds if it's the balljoints. If you're lucky it's a track rod, if you're not then your rack is gone! The good news if it is a rack is that you now have the opportunity to fit a 200 cup rack, which is the best and also the cheapest.

Fair do's. I'll get it on a ramp and have a proper look. Ive already had the steering rack done, so hopefully shouldn't be that.

How many hours labour to swap a balljoint do you reckon?