Kit Cars.......

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
Anyone here ever owned one, got one or thought about owning one ? Care to share your thoughts, what it was like to live with, what you used it for etc

I've been mulling the idea over for quite a few months; if only in reference initially to what they are like full stop ! Appears to me it could be a fun car for short journey's, could be a weekend hoon-mobile if you fancy getting rid of some adrenalin, an able track weapon to boot; not to mention being a fun car to tinker around with in the garage. I have done a little bit of reading up ref bike engine versions versus traditional car engined ones, the wide-body chassis versions, buying built or perhaps taking on a half-done project, actual shed built kit cars versus a factory Westfield etc.

My current pondering hasn't been helped by the fact a good friend; who i thought was only semi-seriously thinking about it - actually took the plunge and bought one last weekend.

I have now managed to blag the car below on Sat as my first introduction. I've never so much as even sat in one before.....

24097527298_9921ea426c_b.jpg

Any advice, info or experience appreciated.

I've always fancied a Gardner Douglas Cobra, just beautiful cars and bloody rapid with it. I also remember a Dax Rush 4x4 Cosworth from the 90s which was mentally fast.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Dad used to own one from what I remember as a kid. Bright orange and some mouldy old black canvas cover for when it rained! Was abit beat up however it was a thrill to be a passenger... I'd recommend it Shuv even just to tick a box buck list style !

I had a Caterham Supersport. Was a great spec - 1.6 140Bhp. Dry sump. LSD. Motorsport chassis with handbrake under dash etc...

Pros:

Fun / light to tow / good on tyres and brakes / easy to work on

Cons:

Open / exposed / accident chances not good / wind / noise / people looking in on you / head almost sticking out the top

I did a deal with mine to get a Clio Cup race car.

Was glad to get a good car with a roof sometimes i regret it - mainly when I look at the price of Caterhams now.

Have a Tiger Avon race car I'm going to build as a pure track weapon. Have a brand new 2.0 Zetec crate engine with Jenvey Throttle Bodies and Omex 600 mgmt waiting to go on.

If you are thinking of taking the plunge then now is the time to bag the bargains. If the one in the pic floats your boat then I'd be looking at an MK Indy, Westfield SEi or the real deal in a Caterham. Would avoid Robin Hoods as heavy and Locosts as welding could be home brew.

My dad built his Westfield in 2000, and as a little boy sat watching my dad build a ‘supercar’, I think it’s where I found my love for cars!

In total it took him around a year to build, but he said you have to be dedicated to getting in the garage every night after work, no matter what, else you’ll never finish it!

He still has it to this day, and it’ll stay on the family as it’s sentimental! Annoyingly because it’s a Q reg, you have to be 25 to be insured on it, lucky that birthday for me is coming up in January [emoji6]

3ff8694d01a323bcd8185447a9c76e48.jpg

a0b623ce2d294616ddc3c87c6a4b7855.jpg

209a4111571e68605b348dfb606b3111.jpg

Have a Tiger Avon race car I'm going to build as a pure track weapon. Have a brand new 2.0 Zetec crate engine with Jenvey Throttle Bodies and Omex 600 mgmt waiting to go on.

If you are thinking of taking the plunge then now is the time to bag the bargains. If the one in the pic floats your boat then I'd be looking at an MK Indy, Westfield SEi or the real deal in a Caterham. Would avoid Robin Hoods as heavy and Locosts as welding could be home brew.

That is going to sound bloody epic!

Not something that ever appealed to me owning Shuv, but hey, if we all liked the same things it'd be boring!