Key Card help

When I got my 08 reg 197 it came with 2 key cards which worked fine keyless as they should, unfortunately I lost 1 of the cards so I bought a non OE replacement and got a locksmith to program it for me. The new card worked fine but not keyless and the worst bit is it killed the original card I had left, now I’m left with just one key which I have to put into the slot to use and press a button to unlock/lock the car. I know replacement OE keys are very expensive so I was wondering if I find someone breaking a 197 and I was to buy the key cards, uch and ECU from them and fit them to my car would I end up with a working system or would I just be setting myself up for a load of problem?

You would also need to change the steering lock, as it's part of immo system. You probably bought a non hands free keycard. While programming, you have to program ALL the keys, including old ones. That's why your original key is not working now. Just go through the programming procedure once again, but including your old original key, and it will work again. There are non OE handsfree cards available, BTW.

As above the steering lock would need changed.

If it was me I would but one key card & key from renault and get it programmed and then a few months later do another one.

Yes its a big outlay of money but you are potentially going to be spending the same amount for one key with messing about buying parts , doing the work and messing about.

Thanks very much for the advice, it does sound like more hassle than I wanted so I guess I’ll just do as you suggest and speak to my local Renault dealer.

You would also need to change the steering lock, as it's part of immo system. You probably bought a non hands free keycard. While programming, you have to program ALL the keys, including old ones. That's why your original key is not working now. Just go through the programming procedure once again, but including your old original key, and it will work again. There are non OE handsfree cards available, BTW.
Do you have any links to the non-oem ones?

They're available on Allegro.pl in Poland for around 60-80GBP. Looked them up on Aliexpress and was mildly shocked they're not available anymore. You need to look for the card with PCF7943 chip. Megane II and Scenic II cards also fit, they're all the same.

Reactions: DS197