Just thinking out loud. (engine swap)

John Gordon

Paid Member
Hi,

has anyone ever looked at fitting the Nissan MR engine and the Getrag box from the 200t to an older 197/200 Chassis.

Everything is doable if you have the money..sure, but how close are the mounting points etc?

Just curious and thinking out loud.

Currently torn between selling mine and building a meg track car/buying a clio cup racer/keeping mine and adding turbo power.

Thanks

John

I haven't heard of anyone trying it, or even thinking about it. To be honest, when the F4R from the megane 250 fits straight in with only a few modifications needed to get it up and running and furthermore only a few modifications needed to get over 300bhp, I can't see many people bothering with the 200T engine, or why anyone would want to!

Its lighter, and has a dual clutch MAT box. Lots of torque with a re-map.

(plus ive found a crashed 200t :smile:)

Over 300lb/ft though? Would the gearbox take that? Has anyone done any real tuning on the 200T yet? Would certainly be an interesting project.
If you've found a crashed car then that's the route I'd recommend going down, that way you get all the associated wiring, mechanicals etc. I would imagine a LOT more work would be required to get the engine fitted, and then have the engine and car talking to each other (unless you took everything form the dash forward from the 200T), but anything is possible. I just think there are better options, that's all :smile:

Hi,

has anyone ever looked at fitting the Nissan MR engine and the Getrag box from the 200t to an older 197/200 Chassis.

Everything is doable if you have the money..sure, but how close are the mounting points etc?

Just curious and thinking out loud.

Currently torn between selling mine and building a meg track car/buying a clio cup racer/keeping mine and adding turbo power.

Thanks

John
Funnily enough I've been thinking the same over the last few days but I wasn't sure about the box which puts me off this route. Don't know if anyone has fitted anything else other than the meg to a clio. I remember lots of other cars having fairly interesting transplants such as a V8 MX5, a V8 MR2, Cossie Pug 205 and (more perversely) an Audi diesel Ferrari... Maybe there just isn't space in the engine bay of the Clio?

Supercharged 3ltr v6 from the clio/laguna? Been plenty of Peugeot 306 v6 conversions done and the 306 engine bay can't be much bigger than the clio's. Big lazy power and torque, surprised I've never seen it considered.

Well the 250 engine fits in the 197, and they put the 275 engine in the 200t chassis, so suffice to say it would probably fit, but tbh I do agree as above, it wouldn't really be a warranted enough upgrade if your wanting the extra power.

Well the 250 engine fits in the 197, and they put the 275 engine in the 200t chassis, so suffice to say it would probably fit, but tbh I do agree as above, it wouldn't really be a warranted enough upgrade if your wanting the extra power.

As much as it's hard for people to comprehend.. I love thst gearbox. As said though, it was more a "what if".

It's a lot of torque to gain with a reduction in weight. There's pros and cons.

I'd of said a mildly tuned 200T engine in a 197/200 would be a hoot especially if could get box to work aswell!!

230/240bhp and **** load more torque. Plus the gearbox advantage with flappy paddles.

winner !

If you change the N/A F4R then there is only one engine that can replace it...... K20.

So you can have all the lag of a turbo with none of the torque? And while you're busy reflecting on how your car sounds like a scooter on HGH, the f4rt-engined clio is off up the road. If you want a K20, buy a honda. K20 in a clio makes no sense when you have 2 practically bolt-in renault turbo engines which can and do make 300bhp and 300lbft.

Last edited:
Fair comment regarding the power Sean but personally I'd take a no torque high rev 240 NA bhp engine than a 300lbft characterless turbo. Yes, if laptimes, power and absolute speed if what someone is after then a turbo is the way to go. This route however lacks involvement, responsiveness and soundtrack IMO:smile:

Going back on subject, Chris nailed really. f4rt is in the 200t therefore the Nissan engine must slot in the mk3 clios. However though, you take the best things that make a hot hatch and bin them!! NA and manual box that is. But each to their own, it should make a very interesting project. Out of curiosity, how much lighter is the 1.6 turbo when you take everything into consideration? Turbo, intercooler etc. Can't be that much lighter surely.

So you can have all the lag of a turbo with none of the torque? And while you're busy reflecting on how your car sounds like a scooter on HGH, the f4rt-engined clio is off up the road. If you want a K20, buy a honda. K20 in a clio makes no sense when you have 2 practically bolt-in renault turbo engines which can and do make 300bhp and 300lbft.

Lag in an N/A, I know you're being flippant and what you are implying.......but the reality is quite the contrary. A proper N/A engine has such an instantaneous response and linearity to it's delivery, your comment makes you look stupid.

And as for the noise issue, jesus I don't know why I'm even replying still. Turbo 4-pots are the worst sounding configuration there is, wet, bland and massively generic. Granted most Honda owners (in the K20 example) have a penchant for buzzy nasty exhausts, but a normal exhaust and a set of ITB's on 8500-9000rpm motor beats the hell out of any blown 4-pot.

I'd probably have 600hp+ if I spent my money on boost, but for some people quality prevails over quantity.

Lag in an N/A, I know you're being flippant and what you are implying.......but the reality is quite the contrary. A proper N/A engine has such an instantaneous response and linearity to it's delivery, your comment makes you look stupid.

And as for the noise issue, jesus I don't know why I'm even replying still. Turbo 4-pots are the worst sounding configuration there is, wet, bland and massively generic. Granted most Honda owners (in the K20 example) have a penchant for buzzy nasty exhausts, but a normal exhaust and a set of ITB's on 8500-9000rpm motor beats the hell out of any blown 4-pot.

I'd probably have 600hp+ if I spent my money on boost, but for some people quality prevails over quantity.

Knickers in a twist much? Are you related to Mr Honda? Easiest thing in the world to spend other people's money and suggest things which you haven't actually done yourself :wink:If giving advice based on experience makes me "sound stupid" then I'll happily take that over the internet armchair expert looking to score forum points all day long.
Anyway I'm done clogging the guy's thread, I've given my opinion (based on experience) :smile:

Knickers in a twist much? Are you related to Mr Honda? Easiest thing in the world to spend other people's money and suggest things which you haven't actually done yourself :wink:If giving advice based on experience makes me "sound stupid" then I'll happily take that over the internet armchair expert looking to score forum points all day long.
Anyway I'm done clogging the guy's thread, I've given my opinion (based on experience) :smile:

No not at all, it was just one of the oddest comments I've read on a forum - to slate N/A for it's 'lag' and noise. You could slate N/A for many things but to pick on probably the only 2 tangible benefits it has over boost! I'm a realist though, N/A has it's draw backs sure, for a start you could have picked on power and economy which N/A can't touch boost for.....but then like I say, quality over quantity which is pretty much what the mk3 is all about. So it seems a huge shame to ruin that aspect of the car, what with it being one of the last great N/A hatches - but don't worry your 'sound advice' has advocated that.

For what it's worth a K20 and box fits very well in the mk3 bay, fits between the chassis legs, gearbox mount lines up almost perfectly and drive shafts are at nice angles too. It's not just a throwaway 'stick a v6' or **** comment like that in.