JPOC Race Wars 2

Was a fantastic day some great shots there bud :zomg: shame the meg wasnt ready ah well fingers crossed for GOP...

Nice shots Tom, looks like a great day for photo practice! How you finding that 55-200mm Lens (I peeked at your exif data)? Thinking of picking one up for myself, (I'm borrowing someone elses 100-300mm at the minute).

Cheers Lee.

Rob, thanks mate. I love the 55-250mm, it's my favourite lens and £150 well spent!

I use it so much, my shots are usually half decent too.

It's the Canon 55-250mm IS II. I got my brand new for £150 in a sale, you can get them now for around £200 new.

Here are some other times I have used it:

Royal International Air Tattoo 2012
French Car Show 2012
Rhyl Air Show 2012
BTCC Oulton Park 2012
Dudley Zoo and Castle
Big Truck in Wolverhampton

That's a pretty versatile range... It's a versatile lens! So good. :smiley:

Yeah it should suit me just fine, I get a bit fed up of switching out of my 100-300 back to 18-55 at show because at 100mm its just too long for static stuff (unless I'm stood miles back and theres always someone in your shot!). It also sucks a bit that the 100-300mm isn't IS so my keep rate sucks when I'm using it.

£150? Where was that from mate, Jessops have them at about £240 and I think Jacobs are the same around here too?

Amazon man.

Apparently, the IS 1 is hardly any different, if you want to save some £££.

The lens I have has IS, but it can be turned off. I turn it off for motorsport, such as my shots from yesterday.

I struggled to go down to 40 on the shutter at BTCC due to the IS being on.

How come you turn off the IS, does it not like horizontal panning? Or is it just the slower shutter that confuses it?

I've never managed to get as low as 40 on my shutter, I'm 1/100 or 1/200

Yeah, I was 160-250 before I turned IS off.

IS naterally tries to stablise the image - you're panning - you're not stable. Therefore, the lens fights the pan and it can ruin your shot.

Well, that's my understanding.

If it's not on my Flickr set, it's 'cause it was soft at full res' and didn't make the final cut... :worried:

Yeah, I was 160-250 before I turned IS off.

IS naterally tries to stablise the image - you're panning - you're not stable. Therefore, the lens fights the pan and it can ruin your shot.

Well, that's my understanding.

Yeah I get what you mean, I have read about IS motors in certain lenses that can recognise deliberate horizontal movement and so are much more 'pan friendly' can't for the life of me think what the lenses were though. No doubt they were bloody expensive though haha!

Yeah I get what you mean, I have read about IS motors in certain lenses that can recognise deliberate horizontal movement and so are much more 'pan friendly' can't for the life of me think what the lenses were though. No doubt they were bloody expensive though haha!
Lol, yeah man... For ~£200, I doubt it was my lens haha.

Similar Thread Suggestions