Josh’s DB197 Project

Josh Hill

Paid Member
Thought it was about time I got around to getting a thread on the go, unfortunately things have been rolling along at a hell of a pace and I’ve forgotten to take pics along the way!!

Bought this 197 back in July from a rather crappy Ebay ad - poor pictures but something about it I could tell it was a good car underneath.

77k miles bodywork in good shape interior spotless
197 non cup with keyless entry and start, digi climate etc.

Paid £2k for it!

Unfortunately about 10 miles down the road a deer decided to run into the side of the bloody car! It was a good chance to stop check out the two dents and take a pic though.
672974F2-C5B8-4F1B-8FA1-69B5EBE6CE6A.jpeg
17C47DE5-3E9E-401C-9352-6D7AA8148B21.jpeg 85559491-14F3-4923-A23A-CFAE32A36B1B.jpeg
Not sure if the dent in that rear quarter can really be made out but it’s there :worried:

Fitted up a KTec induction bought from a lad on here.
74FB4B19-BA2D-4F36-ACCB-0A0DB8E31919.jpeg

Next up was the optional front splitter - quick before/after
530E0CAA-F670-4A68-858B-A370CD20C84E.jpeg
839FD067-D928-4C69-8214-56A8E5217892.jpeg

Next up my set of ktec coilovers turned up, so I got those fitted along with new meyle hd drop links and anti rotation links. Also a new set of Autec Wizard alloys with Federal RSR tyres went on. Fitment is a little bit tight up front with a 225 width tyre so Compbrake camber top mounts are currently on their way to me.
DBAFBC18-E7E5-4BD5-8552-397EE80C56EB.jpeg
E21760C6-456C-41AC-82C1-21C09DD2CA49.jpeg

Today I purchased an OEM Renault clutch kit and slave cylinder and a TTV lightweight flywheel along with Renes lightweight crank pulley!

And I have a Toyosports manifold in the garage ready to go on at the same time - I figured best to fit whilst subframe and box are out as there’ll be loads of room!

Reactions: suj
its funny how a set of coiles change the stand of the whole car..looks much more aggressive and ready to fight.. t1928.gif

lot of money and time has gone into your car..any track days planned??

Reactions: Beany and Josh Hill
its funny how a set of coiles change the stand of the whole car..looks much more aggressive and ready to fight.. View attachment 128416

lot of money and time has gone into your car..any track days planned??
Definitely! They look so much nicer lower with a wheel that fills out the arches!

Yes Nürburgring and Spa for next year and hopefully catch a few at castle combe and maybe Thruxton towards the tail end of this year too :smile:

Good to see this progress thread up. You seem to be doing the right things. FYI if you want it cheap day at Castle Combe RSUK on Facebook are running a day there Friday November 2nd. £135 including a breakfast roll & lunch. They're good days, I've been on a couple. Good value too & a good bunch of people.
How do you find the Federal RSRs? I'm considering some for track days.

Reactions: silverclio4410
Good to see this progress thread up. You seem to be doing the right things. FYI if you want it cheap day at Castle Combe RSUK on Facebook are running a day there Friday November 2nd. £135 including a breakfast roll & lunch. They're good days, I've been on a couple. Good value too & a good bunch of people.
How do you find the Federal RSRs? I'm considering some for track days.
Thanks! I have see that RSUK advertised but one thing I wasn't too sure on is if non Renault Sports are allowed along also? I have a couple of mates in M cars who'd tag along also.

The Federals are very good so far - not too scary in the wet which is a good thing as I daily the car at the moment....

Reactions: Pav and Johnny 99
How do you find the coilovers? A few on here were pondering them
No issues so far Sean, they are mega low I am running mine about 3/4 way up on the front mainly due to offset/tyre combo but will lower the front a little more one the camber mounts arrive and get fitted.

Feel nice and firm but not overly harsh - time will tell with these I think, I certainly felt when ordering them I was takings somewhat of gamble but someones gotta be the guinea pig!

Thanks! I have see that RSUK advertised but one thing I wasn't too sure on is if non Renault Sports are allowed along also? I have a couple of mates in M cars who'd tag along also.

The Federals are very good so far - not too scary in the wet which is a good thing as I daily the car at the moment....
RSUK started out as a Renault club, but now their tag line is "About enthusiasm, not make or model" so your mates will be fine. When I have been with them there was everything from Fiestas, MX5s to Skylines.
Ta for feedback on the Federals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
Nice to see you've started a project thread up, Josh! I was curious how you were getting on with the car since you said you'd bought one! They do look really good in black and those mods are very tasty indeed! Hope you're enjoying ownership!

Nice to see you've started a project thread up, Josh! I was curious how you were getting on with the car since you said you'd bought one! They do look really good in black and those mods are very tasty indeed! Hope you're enjoying ownership!
Hey Jimmy, I cannot believe your R27 hasn’t sold - it’s an absolute steal!

Thanks for comments mate :smile: it is nice to be back in a Renaultsport!

Reactions: Pav and Jimmy
Hey Jimmy, I cannot believe your R27 hasn’t sold - it’s an absolute steal!

Thanks for comments mate :smile: it is nice to be back in a Renaultsport!

Yeah they are such great cars and when you start adding your own touch to it, it makes it all the more interesting!

Thank you for your kind words too, Josh, much appreciated! I feel like I'm giving it away at the price it is, but that's the way it goes I suppose :smile:

not a great time to sell i guess..they have gone down on price unfortunately..

Yep fully agree with you there Pav, it's a tough market for selling at the moment...

However it does work out well for buyers, you got a lot of car for £2k Josh! That seems like a steal at that price, especially on that mileage too!

Yeah I was never really governed by a budget when shopping around for a 197 which was nice but I got such a steal on the car I went for it, in a way glad I didn’t get an R27 as I’d have wanted to keep that standard and immaculate however an ordinary 197 is fair game for eventual stripping out.

In other news, Italian cup spoiler turned up last week. Today popped down to my garage whipped out the spray gun and got happy with some good old 2K deep black paint for the main spoiler and satin black for the end plates to kind of match the OEM Renault plastic end plates. Quite happy with it I’ll get it fitted tomorrow!

EB08C8D8-B1C9-4956-B560-C975E101E4C1.jpeg

Good job with the spoiler, great way to save some money spraying it yourself! Pics needed when it's on the Clio :smile: