Joe's LY Clio 200

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Since Surrey has been placed into tier 4 and will have lots more time on my hands, I have decided to start a progress thread. Haven't come across anyone from Surrey on here so far so make yourself known! :drunk:

I am mainly writing this for my own enjoyment and to look back on the progress when I inevitably sell her.

To start things off I picked up the car early September for £6,500, with 43k miles so I thought I bagged myself a good deal. The car was completely stock when I bought it and being 19, I knew I'd end up changing things.

Here is a list of everything I have done to the car so far:

Black front and rear diamonds
Remove CLIO badge and Renault Sport badge on the rear
Renault Sport sunstrip
French flag on front grill
Tinted Rear windows
Rear wiper delete kit (killallwipers)
Killallwipers rear sticker
LED Number Plate lights
4D Private Number Plate
Removed Ariel
Pioneer DAB Radio
Sprayed door bullets black

As the car isn't cup packed or full fat, the calipers are silver so I've booked them in to resprayed up in London from @alloyrefurbz off Instagram on the 29th. I like to be a little different and as red is the most common colour, I'm getting them sprayed Lamborghini Lime Green. Will update the thread with pictures after it's been done.

The previous owner didn't get the belts done and I couldn't find the work being done in the receipts I received with purchase, so the car is booked in at Ktec on the 12th of January for Cambelt, Aux belt and Water pump. Whilst down there, they are also going to fit my scorpion non-res exhaust, H&R 25mm Spacers, H&R Springs and Pure Motorsport exhaust trim. To top it off, give the car a full wheel alignment as well. Not bad for £980 (I think).

I'm getting quite a noisy rattle/ticking noise while under hard acceleration which I believe is a hole in the welding on my manifold so that will need to be sorted in the new year also. Any recommendations on how to solve the issue would be great.

That will be it for the moment as although very grateful for the furlough scheme, funds are getting tight! Gave Coco a nice bath this morning so took photos of the car. Any opinions on the car are welcome, good or bad :wink:.

Attachments

• 20201220_122531.jpg
    20201220_122531.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 20201220_122558.jpg
    20201220_122558.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 20201220_122610.jpg
    20201220_122610.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 20201220_122541.jpg
    20201220_122541.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20201220_122544.jpg
    20201220_122544.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
So 9 days later and the first addition to the thread!

Travelled an hour into London to get my callipers sprayed Lambo lime green, I think they've turned out great. Alloyrefurbz is the company. Highly recommended. £150 all in for them to br sprayed and have decals back on.
(Excuse the dirty car and wheels. Need to give the alloys a proper good clean but need to wait a week for the paint to firm)

They even painted my centre caps all black but the lacquer is still drying.

Thoughts on the green calipers?

Attachments

• 20201229_151438.jpg
    20201229_151438.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20201229_151115_333.jpg
    IMG_20201229_151115_333.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20201229_151447.jpg
    20201229_151447.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 58
Very productive Saturday today. Picked up some Auto Finesse avalanche snow foam as the old man bought out the pressure washer.

20210109_122950.jpg

Ordered a Stihl lance foam gun of eBay as well so that'll be arriving soon. The one that came with the washer is a normal soap one rather than a snow foam one but it still did a good enough job of softening up some dirt. Looking forward to proper foaming the car.

After washing and drying the car, after close expection, I have loads of orange/brown dots and marks over each panel, and they won't come off at all. I believe its iron fallout? Or a fallout of some kind. If a keen detailer could let me know what it is and how to get rid, would be superb.

20210109_142630.jpg

Car is all packed and ready for its treatment at Ktec on Tuesday. Belts and water Pump and a few goodies being put on. And only coming at a £120 increase in my next year of insurance! Ktec are lending me a courtesy car so my friend and I are going to view the local scenery, for 9 hours! Will let you know how I get on. Not sure why a majority on here slate Ktec, we shall see.20210109_144140.jpg

Also zip tied the MAP sensor down, not sure why, but the best cheap mods forum told me too.

20210109_142201.jpg

Ktec put on my Akrapovic and did a remap for my Clio in October 2020. I thought their service was excellent. I was given a courtesy car for the day but as everyone else who was booked in that day wanted a courtesy car I was given a loud 182 to drive.

IMG_1257.jpeg

If you have got orange dots all over the paintwork it might be fall out. I am not a detailer but when you get your car back use your snow foam, let it dwell, then wash the car properly. Before you dry it use something like Auto Finesse Iron Out. It is a fallout remover that should be able to shift any metal debris that your paintwork has picked up. If you spray it on and leave it for a while it will turn purple to show what "fallout" is coming away from the paintwork.

The last time I washed the Wife's car she had a build up of fallout.

IMG_1470.jpeg

If Iron Out does not get all of the debris out of the paintwork you might want to use something like Meguairs Ultimate Compound and see if that will help.

Your car will be a different beast once Ktec have installed your mods - with the new springs and spacers it should have a really good stance.

Reactions: joehodges154
I remember reading on your forum that you were given a 182 as a courtesy, I believed that's what they were given out as their courtesy cars, to say I was excited was an understatement! Shame I'll be given a 1.2 to plod around Dorset in. Thanks for the help on the fallout mate. I did some digging and the 2nd owner (me being the 4th) lived right next to Southampton railway station, which I believe is where all the fallout has come from? The traintracks? Will pick up some Iron out next time out and about. So normal wash but before drying apply all over the the car? Or a panel at a time? Hate to be rude to my beloved car but it is absolutely everywhere. Then pressure wash off? :think:

Use the Iron Out once you have cleaned the car. I would dry it to get the excess water off but it does not have to be bone dry. If you use the Iron Out whilst your car is filthy it might not be as effective. Depending on the weather I would give the car a liberal spray and if it is cold enough spray the whole car. If it is a bit warmer then spray a few panels at a time. Just make sure the Iron Out does not dry as you want it to remain a liquid that you can just spray off.

Then wash it off and dry the car properly.

Like I said before I am not a detailer and others might have some different suggestions.

Reactions: joehodges154
On Tuesday I made my way down to Ktec, greated by a lovely looking car park and a smiley face from Nick, who was absolutely outstanding, dropped the car off and off I went with a 1.2 clio, which was surprisingly nice to drive. Got a call from Nick letting me know that my manifold is blowing, which I sort of assumed but good they confirmed it and a spring had snapped. Must have been on the way down to Ktec it snapped as a loud knock came on about half way down the M3. IMG-20210112-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210112-WA0006.jpg

Handy I was getting springs put on too. Spent most of my day walking around Poole, Bournemouth and Sandbanks, which I came across this.
20210112_144946.jpg
One can dream :thumb:

Anyway, the car sits absolutely lovely now, 25mm spacers and a 30mm drop gives it such a good look. And the sound, I put a fart can on my first car, a suzuki swift which was loud, but a non res scorpion exhaust is ridiculous. I can not be happier. Maybe the blowing on the manifold is causing it to be a different sound, but the little pops changing up from 2nd to 3rd and blipping the throttle between changing down a gear. Highly recommend. In regards to the manifold, a toyosports one is coming today with a genuine Renault gasket. Should I upgrade the lower engine mount and upper torque mount? Read they're the best to stop a potential knock and with least vibration!

All in all, wonderful service from Ktec, stayed an extra half hour to do a alignment for me as well, bubble wrapped and taped up my old parts for me, excellent work.

IMG-20210112-WA0002.jpg

Toyosports manifold arrived with the new Renault gasket as well, many thanks to @suj and @burrellbloke for the help on finding the right parts.

20210114_141144.jpg

Car is booked in at Rentech in Portsmouth to fit the manifold and my engine mounts I have coming Saturday. What do people think of the price? £300+vat. 5 hours labour. Since the pubs are shut and I'm out of work, the old man has taken me on as a labourer for the building firm which is handy as the clio takes control of my bank account. Starting tesco nights as well on Wednesday so I can afford an eventual remap as I know the commute to work with poor low end torque and a flat spot will bug me. Engine Dynamics is the same distance to me as Ktec. Have sent ED an email for pricing as I'm interested in trying new companies out.

Toyosports manifold arrived with the new Renault gasket as well, many thanks to @suj and @burrellbloke for the help on finding the right parts.

View attachment 143710

Car is booked in at Rentech in Portsmouth to fit the manifold and my engine mounts I have coming Saturday. What do people think of the price? £300+vat. 5 hours labour. Since the pubs are shut and I'm out of work, the old man has taken me on as a labourer for the building firm which is handy as the clio takes control of my bank account. Starting tesco nights as well on Wednesday so I can afford an eventual remap as I know the commute to work with poor low end torque and a flat spot will bug me. Engine Dynamics is the same distance to me as Ktec. Have sent ED an email for pricing as I'm interested in trying new companies out.
Just wait for the pops and bangs once you change the manifold, will have you grinning on every drive no matter how boring, if you’re into that! Makes me miss my old one sometimes, but motorways are no longer deafening.