Japan - Earthquake/Tsunami

just been watching it never new it happened till 5 mins ago
real bad.not good at the power station with the core not being cooled

Really shocking news, I read the news stories at about lunchtime and they only though about 30 people were dead. Now I see it's raised to 300-400 :worried:

Thoughts go out to the families affected

its devastating tbh,

i do think the death toll will be in the thousands tho looking at the vids on the news,

very sad,

local jap news groups are stating missing people of over 88,000 people! so the death toll could be mega!

bbc are not giving to much away at the minute if you really dig about online there is so much info!

a volcano as gone off in Indonesia as well to top the day off...

quote from bbc live feed.
1706: The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant has been rising, with the risk of a radiation leak, according to the Jiji Press news agency. Tepco planned to take measures to release the pressure, the report added. The reactor's cooling system began to malfunction after the earthquake. People living close to the plant were later evacuated as a precaution.

things look like they could get worse.

and another update.
1708: Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves."

Saw this on BBC this morning, was pretty disturbing - there was a heli cam showing the flood passing over land and swamping a village, you could see the cars trying to leave and there wasn't anywhere to go. Pretty horrific TBH!

I really hope it isn't as bad as it seems, but I am fearing the worst.

see theres a passanger train unaccounted for and another source mentioned a cruise ship with 100 people on board also missing.

1908: A magnitude 6.6 quake has now struck in central Japan, AP news agency reports, causing Tokyo buildings to sway. It is not clear if this is connected to the earlier quake and aftershocks. More on this as we get it.

this is a true world wide disaster now. my thoughts go out to all. Must be a nightmare. needless to say i will be donating a percentage of my sales to this cause.

I caught this on the news this morning and I've just got in from work and had a another look.

It's unbelievable, the power of nature is just, well, I don't even know the words.

I just hope it doesn't get any worse for them. :worried:

i watched 9/11 on telly too, it was emmense (obviously not in that way, just in the fact that i was not believing what was on live news!!) my dad didn't even believe me when i shouted through to him, lol. same for princess di's death too...!!

I am in total awe of the power of the earth. And Planetry Science aside, I am into Geology in a big way so I am keen to find out the background of this too.

Devastating pictures on TV, that Tsunami was like a scouring pad cleaning the land - totally unreal!

Poor b@stards, they really don't need that.

I'm not so much of a religious person, but God (if there is one) bless the lot of them.

I am in total awe of the power of the earth. And Planetry Science aside, I am into Geology in a big way so I am keen to find out the background of this too.

Devastating pictures on TV, that Tsunami was like a scouring pad cleaning the land - totally unreal!

techtonic plates...

techtonic plates...

Really?!!? I had no idea :wink: :smile: :hug:

I'd love to know which plate slipped. Might goto US Geological Survey site to see if there is info there about it.

Wonder if it was the Mariana Trech fault line (Pacific Plate subducting the Eurasia plate)

Really?!!? I had no idea :wink: :smile: :hug:

I'd love to know which plate slipped. Might goto US Geological Survey site to see if there is info there about it.

Wonder if it was the Mariana Trech fault line (Pacific Plate subducting the Eurasia plate)

Nope, wrong... Godzilla farted!

Seriously though I am so glad that the nuclear plant isn't as bad as feared.

Hopefully the clean up will be quick and they can get back to normality.

Hmm seems it was the pacific plate under the eurasian plate:

japan_11_mar_2011_aftershocks.jpg

Just watching a program on TV on Eden - and it is going on about how the "next massive earthquake in Japan is overdue, and when it comes, it will be big, and could have a devastating tsunami"

Similar Thread Suggestions