Blue 197

Welcome along. Sorry to hear your problems, hopefully you're sorted now. Mine's yet to let me down (he said tempting fate). A good track mod without compromising daily driving is Cooksport springs. I have these & in daily use they feel much like my original Cup springs, but on track the car corners much flatter. Drop the car by 30mm all round so still ok with speed bumps. Uprated front discs & pads are a good call too. Many of us use Brembo High carbon discs which are fairly cheap & work well on track. I've paired mine with Ferodo DS2500 pads which work well from cold & I've yet to run out of brakes on track. Some people prefer DS1.1 on track, but these can be a bit squeally on the road & I've never felt the need for them myself. Standard rear brakes are regarded as fine by most.
Enjoy the car!

nice start to your progress thread..like with other older cars,these have to be looked after..i have to say that my car never let me down since i got it (touch wood)..with good maintenance comes good fun..hope you are all sorted mate..
if you want to get your performance up i'd suggest investing in some good rubber and as Johnny suggested,some upgraded springs/coilovers will be a great benefit to how the car handles...
have a good time with her :thumb:

It’s all character building and I’ve learnt a huge amount working on the car. It should be sorted now.

Thanks for the advice both of you! Would you suggest a shock absorber change if changing to the Cooksport springs for instance?
As the time comes round for discs and pads I will be looking at the HC Disc and DS2500 combo [emoji1360]

Tyres are a must too yes. It had 1 new Eagle F1 put on just before I bought it, so I don’t know whether to just get 3 to match, or if there is something else out there that’s good for a bit of fast road/track use that won’t break the bank

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with the cup shocks and Cooksport springs myself. If you want adjustability Bilstein B14 are highly regarded as a road shock for the odd track day. It really depends how far you want to go. Other springs to consider are Grams. Lots of people rate H&R which lower front 30mm & rear 40mm, but I think that's because they're widely available as much as anything.
F1 are a good tyre & ok for the odd track day. Yokohama AD08R seem to be the tyre of choice for fast road plus track, but I've not tried them myself. I'm currently running Michelin PS4 which are pretty good & probably a little better in the wet that the Yokos, but less good on track in the dry. F1 roughly same as PS4 or Continental Sport Contac 5 in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
Great intro. Not on your own when it comes to replacing lots of parts on an aging Renault!
When they’re running well they’re an absolute joy. Glad you’ve stuck with it

For track days GY F1 are good/average. Yoko AD08r’s are a different level.
Front brakes would be next on list. DS2500 are good all rounder. DS1.11 are another level but produce loads of dust!
Good luck

Welcome, I feel your pain as we all do...but like you said, getting into it and driving it is just brilliant.

DS2500s are highly regarded, however I've gone for Performance Friction Z rated front pads after @jamesgw200 recommended them to me. Will report back once I've had them fitted!

AD08r's for sure. I changed onto a brand new set halfway through my first track day and I don't think I've ever had so much fun in a car!

Reactions: jamesgw200
Wow, went to the cinema, come out and I’ve got a user backed advice and a shopping list! Haha.

Great recommendations on the tyres with my track day coming up, I’ll get on that in Feb.

Let us know how you get on with the Friction Z’s @Benno

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Benno
Wow, went to the cinema, come out and I’ve got a user backed advice and a shopping list! Haha.

Great recommendations on the tyres with my track day coming up, I’ll get on that in Feb.

Let us know how you get on with the Friction Z’s @Benno

Search for MF Tyres on Facebook too, you won’t get Yokos cheaper!

Its got to be the AD08rs if you want to see what these cars can really do!
They're good in the wet too for a semi slick.

I’m looking online now and MF Tyres are a great shout! Do you guys run 215/45 on standard 17” wheels?

More rubber on track which can only be a positive. Look fat from the rear which is great imo
Slightly bigger profile is a small negative

Reactions: Jake Snedden
I'm personally running 215s, but it is all down to preference. When my Pilot Sport 3s get chucked in the bin, I may invest in 225 PS4's to see what they're like day to day...