ITG Maxogen proven increase

Afternoon,

I have been looking at the air intake setup on the car for a while now and wanted to do something to it. Now K-tec and Fernandez are working on airboxes I know but I had an itch to scratch now :bounce:

I'm not here to say look at the bhp of my car as I know its down for the mods done as are k-tec and its being looked at because something is slightly off with bumble.

I've seen a lot of talk of itg maxogens and then apparently being a waste of space and you will lose torque and power over the rev range :thumbdown: Now I know this happens on some cars due to hot engine bays and getting heat soak but then some people on here have said it feels good but never dyno'd the difference. I've had my car dyno'd before elsewhere and made 194.9bhp after cams as have a fueling issue which still isn't sorted :thumbdown: anyway I found an itg maxogen on ebay and snapped it up :thumbup: and decided with the money saved over buying new to do a dyno before and after on the same day.

So at about 9:45 I got my car on the rollers and this is one that measures straight from the wheel and doesn't calculate back to the flywheel figure. Sorry for poor quality as its phone pic as have no scanner at present. Before run:
2012-02-01151933.jpg

and then I went and fitted the filter which wasn't too difficult the silicone pipe was a nightmare to get to fit right but its in :bounce: and then went out for a good 45 minute blast to get the ecu to start learning and straight away it felt better on pickup but that was it and a slight noise increase nothing massive in my opinion but still sounded pretty cool :thumbup: After the run which I spent the last part of sticking to an average 50mph zone for 3miles and then in a 30 zone so the engine had time to get some heat soak I popped the bonnet to check it was all ok and felt the filter and it was ice cold as was the inlet manifold so not bad at all and I know today is a cold day and I spent most the journey flat out.

2nd run was just after 2pm and it was 1 or 2 degrees warmer and didn't know what to expect seems people had been saying it lost power and was just a placebo effect because of the noise. I was hoping for a few more ponies though but was pleasently surprised with the result.
This is an overlay before the first and 2nd dyno:
2012-02-01151940.jpg

The power was measure at the wheel so using a 20% transmission loss roughly comes out as before about 197bhp (going off ktecs 195bhp 3,000 miles ago) I say thats sounds accurate and then 204bhp afterwards roughly so I'm very impressed to say the least :thumbup: I fitted the induction kit not the dyno company so wasn't them bending figures to please me either. They suggested maybe moving the air pipe away from the entrance to the filter as ram affect doesn't kick in till around 130mph they reckon so I may take the pipe off and move it away a bit.

So to everyone that didn't believe it the ITG maxogen works and works quite well and the car hasn't been mapped to suit. I know new its £300 from K-tec but still to me worth it if gains are to be had and will be even better once I go back to K-tec and get the clio back when its 100% :thumbup:

So in summary you are saying on the same RR on the same day, with the only difference being before you were running standard air intake, and afterwards an ITG Maxogen your car has gone from:

197bhp to 204bhp?

So in summary you are saying on the same RR on the same day, with the only difference being before you were running standard air intake, and afterwards an ITG Maxogen your car has gone from:

197bhp to 204bhp?

No. The dyno only calculated wheel horepower. So went from 164 to 170 wheel bhp.

The flywheel reading is always a calculation by the dyno (Best effort guess essentially)

Fair enough thanks for clearing that up. I got lost in all that text and while im at work i cant really stay on the same page for too long reading an essay :smiley:

No. The dyno only calculated wheel horepower. So went from 164 to 170 wheel bhp.

The flywheel reading is always a calculation by the dyno (Best effort guess essentially)

a 6bhp at the wheel is a good result for an induction init, especially on a car thats been difficult to get these working.

How does it sound now?

a 6bhp at the wheel is a good result for an induction init, especially on a car thats been difficult to get these working.

How does it sound now?

Oh I completely agree. 6bhp for £300 (RRP) is a good result. And like I said above. No claims of number fixing can be made. Its simply just the way it is. The facts are there.

I'm tempted to buy one for the 182 and test it. If it gets an improvement in bhp it would show how crap the BMC CDA was

is yrs aluminium or carbon richy,mines alloy so i've also polished the inside of it with wet n dry for better flow

From the k-tech website:

"We have now finished tesing the ITG Maxogen kit for the Clio 3 RS 197 and 200 models. Dyno testing has showed the kit to produce 6bhp+ across the rev range at the same time giving the engine a purposeful growl without being too loud. The kit comes complete with a fitting kit, silicone inlet pipe, high flow air filter housed in an alloy induction chamber which features a special venturi style inlet and some specially shaped ducting. Fitting takes around 1 hour and full fitting instructions are supplied.

Please note this kit will only fit right hand drive cars and is currently only available in black.
This kit will fit the Clio 3 RS 197, R27, 200 including Cup and Gordini."

Seems bang on with the 6bhp increase.

Think it'll be this or Fernandez' R3 box in a month or 2 for the green one.

Thats an excellent result Rich, we need a video to hear the beast. Making progress with mine but had a few unforeseen delays but nothing too drastic.

The thing I find strange is the powerband - it's the same, just higher...and the other thing - 6WHP just with the intake? I got 5bhp with the V6 airbox, and that was a big difference. Car was 3 lengths faster than before on the road.

This should be MASSIVE.

I'm still sceptical...

The thing I find strange is the powerband - it's the same, just higher...and the other thing - 6WHP just with the intake? I got 5bhp with the V6 airbox, and that was a big difference. Car was 3 lengths faster than before on the road.

This should be MASSIVE.

I'm still sceptical...

Well spotted! I knew you were useful for something :rofl:

its very similar I agree but what do you believe I have done?

this was run this morning before the air filter and then put on it just over 4 hours later nothing else was touched and this car isn't standard to start with it has a k-tec map and cams, matched inlet and miltek decat. I couldn't be more honest with these and the company who run the car couldnt care if it gains or looses power as they didn't do the work to the car nor sold me the filter.

your right runs are different but what else can you do to prove it? what benefit have the company got to lie and what benefit have I got?

4 runs were done on each setup and these were the best results.