Is this an oil leak from a bad gasket? Or overfill? (Pics inside)

Hey again everyone,

Did my first oil change on the Clio.

As a little backstory , I used this stuff to clean out any gunk right before my oil change. I added it to the motor and let it run for 15 mins and shut the car off. I was going to drain the oil but I had to delay a few days due to not having the square drain plug handy.

IMG_6509.jpeg

When it finally came time, I drained the oil, and added 5.3 liters (I read the sump holds 5.4).

I closed everything up and then noticed I’m having some very slow leakage (you can’t see it in the pic as I already wiped it off the bottom of the sump), but you can see the moisture at the top before it runs down.

IMG_6510.jpegIMG_6511.jpegIMG_6512.jpeg

My question is, is this because I overfilled it? Or is it because I let that motor flush sit for too long and therefore ate away at the gasket?

It seems too that some of the oil might be leaking from around those little bolts.

Either way, something’s leaking and it looks like I’ll need a new gasket.

Thanks again guys for any insight and helping as I get to know this Clio better

Have you checked the oil level on the dipstick? I find 5.1ltr with a filter change would put it at max.

Regarding the flush I would never use something like that unless I was going to drop the sump and give it a proper clean afterwards even then not sure it’s worth the risk.

Reactions: RSRowe
Hmm, actually you prompted me to check and according to the dipstick (you can’t really see it in the photo), it’s up to the second to last “x”. Then again, I do still have it on ramps and haven’t started the engine since the change.

Yeah I know there’s apprehension on that- I used to do it a lot in my E36 M3 with no known issues although the previous owner was changing the oil (according to the service book) like every 12,000 kms. It had only 81k on the odometer when I bought it but I feel like during the limited amount of time it was driven, it wasn’t really looked after as good as it should have been service wise.

IMG_6517.jpeg

If it’s on a ramp and it was me, I would dump the oil, drop the sump, clean and replace the gasket as well as checking for any sludge on the oil pump pick-up. Also watch out for those plastic dipsticks as they can snap.

Thanks Liam. As much as I’m ready to get in and drive it I can’t knowing something is amiss (plus dumping extra oil in).

I already looked up torque specs for the bolts and this is the part number for the gasket, correct? 8200282199

First time doing the but I assume it’s pretty straightforward? Drain, unbolt the lower pan (16 bolts or something), put new gasket and voila?

Thanks for the tips Liam. Hopefully I can help newcomers in the future like you are with me.

Reactions: LiamP
I would clean the area off, including any mess on the block itself before committing into buying stuff and stripping it down.

It’s generally people have spilled oil at some point and it drips down the block.

Reactions: LiamP and Kalamat88
Right on- just what I did. I cleaned the area up really well right after adding the new oil. Then the next day (today) I saw some leakage. I cleaned it again earlier and will wait till tomorrow to see what seepage awaits me. Hopefully nothing. Thanks for the advice Rowe.

Aaaand an update… It’s officially leaking. This time from another spot- right where the transmission meets the oil sump.

I saw this first yesterday, wiped it and here it is today.

IMG_6525.jpeg

What gasket is this? Is this anymore difficult than removing the oil sump?

Lastly, it didn’t seem like motor oil… am I correct in this? Too dark, as I just changed the engine oil.

IMG_6527.jpeg

Thank you again so much fellas.

That will be rear main but if you have put 5.3ltr in it’s potentially because it’s overfull rather than a seal that needs replacing especially if it’s leaking and you haven’t started it yet as there shouldn’t be any oil that high

Reactions: RSRowe
Definitely a rather involved job too. Gearbox, clutch, and flywheel have to come off.

It could also be leaking through the silicone on the sides of the main cap. Again, involved like above.

So this overfill should be causing motor oil to leak but that leakage looked much too dark to be motor oil. Is it gear oil?
I don’t know. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

I think what I’ll do is empty the oil out in a new oil pan/container and then put 5 quarts in. Then I’ll monitor it.

I’m pretty handy but I don’t think I’d have it in me to do the rear main seal if it involves all of that that RSRowe mentioned.

Thanks again guys.