Insurance - who are you with and how much do you pay?

As above gents. I've been trying to renew my insurance this week, and it seems like there is no system by which they calculate your figures, and it also seems to increase in cost each year despite not making a claim, it's really annoying!

As an idea, I am 34 and have full NCB. Quotes are coming in between £300 - £500. I have however just cancelled my current policy as it went up £100 this year, jokers!

My car always comes up as a 197 when I enter the reg online, so I have been changing it to 200 as I don't want to give them any excuse to not pay out in the event of an accident! It's only £10 or so more with some places anyways.

So, if you can post details on the following that would be interesting, thank you:

Car: (197 / 200)
Insurance Co: (company providing the cover)
Type of cover: (TPF&T / Comprehensive)
Mods declared: (yes / no / n/a)
Legal Cover: (did you opt for legal cover on the policy - yes/no) - normally an extra of around £30 on cheaper policies
Use: (social domestic and pleaseure / or business use if you work at various locations)

I am 22 and only have 1 years no claims as I've always been a named driver previously. I have a non fault claim which put my cheapest quote up when renewing by £350+ can't remember actual figures (Which I find ridiculous)

Car: Clio R27

Insurance Co: Elephant
Type of cover: Comprehensive
Mods declared: N/A
Legal Cover: I think I have this
Use: social domestic and pleasure

I think the one off payment amount was about £1000 however I pay monthly so that made it around £1150 (Before I added the non fault claim I was looking around £800 and that was in total paying monthly)
I got a new quote last week as it's just been 5 years since I passed my test which does make a difference and it came in around the £850 mark however i'm already quite a few months in to my current policy so will wait till my renewal so I will accrue another years no claims.
Hopefully by my next renewal date it will start to come down to a reasonable amount, I'll be a year older, have been driving an extra year and have another years no claims. I don't think there is any system (apart from risk assesment) that calculates the figures, I know someone who changed the start date of their renewal by 4 days and their quote went down £300

I am 22 and only have 1 years no claims as I've always been a named driver previously. I have a non fault claim which put my cheapest quote up when renewing by £350+ can't remember actual figures (Which I find ridiculous)

Car: Clio R27

Insurance Co: Elephant
Legal Cover: I think I have this
Use: social domestic and pleasure

I think the one off payment amount was about £1000 however I pay monthly so that made it around £1150 (Before I added the non fault claim I was looking around £800 and that was in total paying monthly)
I got a new quote last week as it's just been 5 years since I passed my test which does make a difference and it came in around the £850 mark however i'm already quite a few months in to my current policy so will wait till my renewal so I will accrue another years no claims.
Hopefully by my next renewal date it will start to come down to a reasonable amount, I'll be a year older, have been driving an extra year and have another years no claims. I don't think there is any system (apart from risk assesment) that calculates the figures, I know someone who changed the start date of their renewal by 4 days and their quote went down £300

Interesting, I just changed the renewal date by one day and it went down by £30, unbelievable. Annoyingly I need it from the 1st October though...!

Car: 197
Insurance Co: Adrian Flux
Mods declared: No Mods
Legal Cover: No
Use: Social domestic and pleasure, with commuting to 1 place of work

Paid £420 last year, its coming up for renewal pretty soon so will be interesting what they offer.

Last edited:
Car R27
Age 27 Girlfriend 23
Licence 9 years Girlfriend 7 days :scared:
4 Years no claims
Fully comp
No mods
Social domestic and pleasure, with commuting
£601 10 month policy me as main drive and my girlfriend is named driver with elephant £600 access

+ £27 for legal cover (forgot to add)

On my own around £400

Last edited:
This is a bit of a pointless thread as each and every person will have a different situation and different price. It's impossible to compare. All it will prove is what we already know - insurance is RANDOM!

As an example, a colleague of mine lives less than 2 miles away from me. Last time he bought insurance for his Mazda 3 MPS I got him to try with his own post code and my post code. The only thing that changed was the post code. The price went from £750 at his address to £390 at mine.

Chris is right in that everyone's premiums will vary a lot due to their individual circumstances - especially with regards to postcode. As for it being a pointless thread, well that's up to the OP to decide, as he's asked out of curiosity :wink:

So what I'd suggest [MENTION=51511]Lewis[/MENTION] is that you add Postcode (good or bad area) to your criteria. That way, the info that people give will be slightly more informative. I'll give mine

Insurance Co: Greenlight
Mods declared: n/a
Legal Cover: No, covered elsewhere
Use: SDP & Commuting
Postcode area: Bad

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I's be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

This is a bit of a pointless thread as each and every person will have a different situation and different price. It's impossible to compare. All it will prove is what we already know - insurance is RANDOM!

As an example, a colleague of mine lives less than 2 miles away from me. Last time he bought insurance for his Mazda 3 MPS I got him to try with his own post code and my post code. The only thing that changed was the post code. The price went from £750 at his address to £390 at mine.

Ah that's pretty crazy alright! I don't think opening the subject up to discussion is 'pointless', and I am not trying to prove anything, I am simply just curious about what you guys are paying and if there is a particular company who offers reasonable, yes reasonable packages. We drive performance cars so nobody expects it to be pocket change, but when you've been driving over ten years and are close to the wrong side of 30 with several years NCB you do not expect to be paying over £450. I know there are loads of variables which affect the cost, but generally speaking if you are older, have good NCB, and don't live in a particular area it shouldn't be outrageously expensive!

It's actually a useful exercise in trying to help others save some money. You decide if that's pointless.

Some interesting things I discovered today; It also alters in cost if you change the renewal date as mentioned above, or if you add your wife / partner to your policy. I ended up adding my wife and it went down £50. Crazy.

So the end result is I got it for £317 with my Akropovic listed as a modification too.

Marks and Spencer's quoted me £283 without the exhaust added, and over a grand with it listed on the policy. That is simply nonsensical. But hey ho, I guess there is no point trying to apply logical thought or process to insurance as it appears to be the complete opposite. I personally think it's robbery, but sadly it's a necessary evil that we must abide by if we are to use the roads.

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I's be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Re: Adrian flux - I have my Rallye insured with you guys already. I did try your website but there is no way of obtaining an online quotation which is much more hassle free, however, I did complete the call back form on your website but nobody called me back.

Insurance comes in at ~£700 and something. I didn't think that was too bad considering I still haven't passed the 25+ threshold. 0 points on licence/insurance and 1 non-fault claim.

Insurance Co: 1st Central
Type of cover: Fully Comp
Legal Cover: I actually dont think I have this with 1st Central, but always have previously
Use: SDP & Commuting to a single place of work

Parents are both named drives on the policy, they do (very occasionally) use the car, but this also brings the price down a bit. I started my insurance from a Monday, for some reason it was almost an extra £100 to have it start from Saturday when I picked the car up!! +£100 for an extra 2 days insurance! No thanks!

Re: Adrian flux - I have my Rallye insured with you guys already. I did try your website but there is no way of obtaining an online quotation which is much more hassle free, however, I did complete the call back form on your website but nobody called me back.

Hi Lewis,

We do offer an online quote facility on our website for out of hours enquiries.

Sorry that you didn't receive a call back, if you wanted to PM me your details I can arrange for our quotes team to call you.

Regards,
Dan.