Insurance Tips (£186 for me this year, woohoo!)

Paid £350 to insure my 200 last year, renewal notice from eSure was £730...

Did some shopping around and applied a few tricks and got it down to £186, which I'm pretty happy with!

I'm 34, driving 15 years, 10yrs NCB, clean licence, no accidents and car is standard (with optional extras), garaged, 4000 miles per year, LL11 postcode.

Rather than just gloat I thought I'd be helpful so here are some tips which may help you out:

1. Add a more experienced driver as a named driver.
Last year mine went from £420 to £350 by adding my Mum. That's with eSure. With my previous insurer - Hastings, it made no difference. Note that this is adding them on with you still as the policyholder, not the illegal practice of you being named with them as the policyholder.

My brother's went down from £707 to £578 by adding both his girlfriend and myself on it, yet with another insurer adding one driver on (either me or her) took it down by £100, but adding both raised it up by £200.

You want to be adding someone who's a lower risk, so your mother or even just somebody you know, they'll never be driving the car so it doesn't really matter.

2. Bump your excess up to the maximum, if you can
If your can afford to pay out a high excess, or maybe just the gambling type, then bumping your excess up to the max can save on the policy. Excess being something you only might have to pay, rather than the premium being something you definitely will have to.

There may be a certain point where it's not worth it. Increasing mine from £450 to £1000 only nudged the premium up by £10, so not worth the risk. In previous years though, I've changed it from £250 to £1000 and saved hundreds.

3. Use a comparison site, but don't buy through them...
Find out who's the cheapest company, but don't click through on there, because you can save a fair chunk by doing the next thing...

4. Use use a cashback link
Once you know who's cheapest, go through Quidco (or another cashback site) and locate that company and use the Quidco link. I got £45 cashback through Quidco from Quotemehappy.com, which takes me down to £186 for this year.

I work for a comparison site so I'm fairly clued up on insurance, but I'm not trying to sell you anything so won't be as biased as perhaps some experts from insurers or brokers may be!

Another bonus is employees get £50 for submitting renewal information for the company to use as research, so that's another £50 off, making the total £136!

Result.

Do you live at home with your parents? I wonder if you can do this if you have your own home.

Bollox to that, I pay £700 for the 200 & 265 trophy covering upto 15k on each with £150 excess.

Last thing I want to do is be stumping out £1000 excess after trashing it, just to save 50 notes.

Just renewed my car and my wifes with us both comprehensive on each others cars for £467 and im due back £80 from topcash. £380 for 2 cars isnt bad, plus my wife has only been driving 3 years.

yep all good tips.

I think it's widely known by now if you put an older (say 30+) person and a woman (again over a certain age) on the policy it can reduce it.

Just don't lie is my advice - insurance companies aren't stupid...

IF you put someone on you still need to declare you are the main driver - so in reality doesn't make that much difference!

I would say the things that make the most difference - and that probably have on the policy above is mileage!

give it a try - go on elephant and stick in 4-6 k miles a year compared to 12k - will be half the price usually.

I limit mine to 5k.

Also if you don't use your car to commute this will usually knock off hundreds (so SDP only)

And - finally, post code and where you park - parking in a garage (secure) can knock hundreds off.

Last edited:
At 28 years of age, with 8 years PNCB, a TS10 (3 points) 04/2008 and a total loss (my fault) 10/2009 - i'm struggling to get my renewal below £1000.

Damn.

Try some of the tips above mate.

I need SDP + C to one place of work

Mileage of circa 10k

Parked on a driveway in a good postcode.

Actually more expensive to insure this car then it was my Revo Stage 1 Ibiza Cupra running circa 210 bhp with all mods declared, and my Clio 172 Cup again with all mods declared (before I wrote it off).

Aviva just gave me a quote of £560, there must be a mistake somewhere there!

I need SDP + C to one place of work

Mileage of circa 10k

Parked on a driveway in a good postcode.

Actually more expensive to insure this car then it was my Revo Stage 1 Ibiza Cupra running circa 210 bhp with all mods declared, and my Clio 172 Cup again with all mods declared (before I wrote it off).

Aviva just gave me a quote of £560, there must be a mistake somewhere there!

mmmm...

quote 'before I wrote it off'.. could be the problem, as you said before - you have a total loss in your name.

If I'm honest £560 isn't bad for 28, 3 points , SDP and Commute, and 10k parked on a driveway..

I'm not paying much less and have no points, full NC, parked in a garage and 5k miles a year!

I was also getting cheaper insurance when having motorsport insurance with Richard Egger on my 172 cup - I was competing and using it on the road up to 4k - I think they were encouraging me to kill myself by giving me such a cheap policy! lol

Try adding your missus, partner or Girlfriend - be careful though - it backfired for me and turned out more expensive.

And.. try tweeking your job - forgot to mention that earlier...

Sites like elephant are interesting as you can have a play at adjusting - Im not saying lie, but there are differences between jobs like journalist and say a writer- they see journalists as more likely to have a crash. Managers are seen as more responsible, so if you are a manager, even if it's of your self or 2 people put it down.

Have a play- engineers, IT etc usually seen as good safe drivers...

Last edited:
I'm not too fussed, as i'm paying £970 this year anyway so i've budgeted for it, but obviously i'd prefer it to be below £500 like a fair few on here pay. Next year I don't have to declare the total loss anyway - should see a drop.

Annoying thing is an R26 costs the same to insure.

Tempted.

*Edit - a retail manager can't really be tweaked much, lol. Hoping 'Flux come through again this year and match my Sky quote of £750 (with forum discount), they usually do.*

I'm not too fussed, as i'm paying £970 this year anyway so i've budgeted for it, but obviously i'd prefer it to be below £500 like a fair few on here pay. Next year I don't have to declare the total loss anyway - should see a drop.

Annoying thing is an R26 costs the same to insure.

Tempted.

*Edit - a retail manager can't really be tweaked much, lol. Hoping 'Flux come through again this year and match my Sky quote of £750 (with forum discount), they usually do.*

well it looks like you have it all covered and can't tweak much more.

I get mine through quidco and last year got mine for under £200 be interesting this year what they try to charge me

you didnt read what he said then obviously.

Why because I don't want to risk £850 extra excess for saving £50 a year.

I'm not convinced putting my 75 year old parents would bring it down too much either.

I could lie and say I only do 4,000 miles a year but since I've done that in the trophy since march on brand new car they may find that sus as well.

I could try price comparisons but none give exact quotes for cup chassis, spoilers, tins etc and if you have ever tried it and then rung up to check the cover you will find its way off.

Cash back could be good but since i told aviva I wanted to pay no more than £700 after they quoted me £900 and they were still the cheapest by £100 I recon I saved more by asking them directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just got quotes for mine and found a few strange things. (on moneysupermarket)
Parking on a street or a street away from home is cheaper than on a drive way.
the company valued my car at 6.5k, i changed it to 10k, and the quote went down by £30:scared:?!?
Changed my excess from £1000 to £450 and price on the quote only changed by £3.
Ive ended up with £700 at 22years old and 0 NCB (used a fleet policy uptil now so no NCB) which i didnt think was too bad, gotta try other sites now

It's more expensive in a garage! As its more likely you will bump it or door will drop etc, same for the drive due to house tiles etc.

If using comparison site and you have cup chassis on a sport you need to declare it or any other options for that matter. Privilege even wanted to know about my black centre caps!

Similar Thread Suggestions