Induction kit on 172

Hope i'm ok to ask on here but CS is taking ages for an answer.

We bought a 172 but it has an induction kit on it (Samco Sport). How do i remove it and what will i need to buy to put it back to standard?

Ha ha, that cone has made me chuckle! It's ridiculous! Lol! New air box from the stealers unless you can get one used and a new panel filter for it. You probably need all the ****e that goes with it too, like brackets and screws and the connecting pipes. I'd find one in a scrap yard and poke you head around the engine bay and take what you need.

Here's a standard airbox:

172enginebay.gif

BTW, I think it's only the hose that is Samco, so I would leave that on as it probably the same as the standard one in design, but better meterials and that (looks like it from the pic's too). The filter looks like a Green Stuff Filter Brand one (don't quote though)!

I've found an airbox on ebay so i'll buy that if need be.
Panel filter??? - Does that sit in the airbox? If i had an ITG Panel Filter would it be classed as standard?

Last edited:
Ye the panel filter sits inside the airbox and filters the air the way Renault intended it to be. If you fit an ITG panel filter instead of a standard one which is made from paper, it isn't standard as it came out of the factory, but is as near as damm it! Lol! The ITG panel filters are direct replacements for the original and just allow greater airflow through them than standard paper ones. So you get a better noise and sometimes a bit more performance (although it is negligable if there is any power gains at all). The good thing about them though, is that unlike standard paper air filters, performance panel filters, such as the ITG don't really require changing. There are other brands too, like K & N. But most Clio owners on here buy ITG because of several reasons.

1. They are British designed and built (in Coventry)
2. ITG test all their filters on the actual car they are designed for, where as most companies just copy originals in design but with different meterials (usually cotton or a guaze type thing)
3. The are reasonably priced (best price on the net is Camskill @ £40 delivered).
4. They are recommended by lots of people.

Hope this helps.

No, I don't think there is any need to tell your insurance because it is classed as a reusable air filter as apposed to an actual performance product. You can argue you are saving money by not having to replace the filter ever again, or that it was on the car when you bought it and you were unaware of it not being original. Who checks the airbox when they buy a car anyway! Ha ha!

That one on ebay came with a K-Tec Racing filter which is the same as the ITG really. I'd have thought that the person selling this has done the opposite to what you are doing and has just fitted an induction kit. So I would imagine all the parts you need are probably there. If you are competent with a screw driver and have got some common sense you could most likely do it youself. I don't think they are the most difficult things in the world.

Thanks Arran. I have bid for it so fingers crossed i will win.

Last edited:
The standard air box has turned up today from ebay :smile: I am hoping to fit it today if the rain stays off. Anyone got a 'how to' guide?

Also, this samco pipe thats on it at the moment... it's got a little pipe thing sticking out of the top, what is it and where is it going?

P1040176.gif

Not sure, but if you look at the pic of the standard one it has got it too. Let us know how you get on anyway and good luck!