Improved throttle response?

Just been out and driven my cousins cooper s works and got to say i think my 200 is far superior (apart from the addictive supercharger whine!). The only thing i feel lets the clio down a little is the lack of throttle response, i.e. the amount i need to depress the accelerator in order for the engine to rev. It just seems a little too far, is a remap the answer to improve this or is there anything else that would help?

Chris

Remap won't really solve it although it might help reduce it.

You can get a SprintBooster, a little device that sits between the pedal and ECU and multiplies the signal. Also, a larger TB also helps to sharpen it up. It's the nature of the beast with fly-by-wire throttles, some are better than others and whilst I don't think the Renault one is that bad it could certainly be a little sharper...

Last edited:
Reactions: papa
I put a custom maxogen on and felt a lot more responsive then after a while i went for a RS tune map and the throttle response is even better its like its been brought back to life.A few have whent for sprint boosters and have good words about them.

I think the throttle response is pretty good on these.

Unless I'm on my flat spot zone.

Thanks for the advice guys, been reading lots of threads about the sprint boosters and for the money they seem worth the punt. Everyone who's had one has a good review of them, think id probably use it like a sport button and have it either on aggressive when i want some fun or off for around town.

Buy a sprint booster!

boy this man is so right,turned mine off a few weeks back as the wife finds it to twitchy,when i got behind the wheel again it was like someone had stolen the throttle peddle,makes the car so responsive,without it on it felt like i had to floor it to get anywhere,massive massive improvement

The most obvious question to ask, would be where to get said 2nd gen sprint booster from?

They're pricey for what they are. Fairly basic electronics for £175. I still wouldn't mind one/something similar as the throttle response is quite laggy, I find you have to proper slap the throttle if your trying to heel and toe. Hopefully this will help with this?

So with a V6 airbox, matched inlets, 64mm TB and a sprint booster would they all gel and give a sharper response?

I'd say so Wayne, the sprint booster adds nothing to the responsiveness of the engine, just helps take the lag out of the throttle pedal (I find them pretty laggy). Match that with the mods you said and a remap and it should be a very nice set up.

I just order a SprintBooster for my 197 as I really hate the throttle response in low to mid rpm range.

But what I noticed before, when I unplugged the MAP sensor, the throttle response was way better, especially in city driving (2000-4000rpm). But once full throttle, of course it was the same. But for me it has enough power, it just doesn't provide enough fun.
Anyone know if MAP sensor alone really slows the throttle response?

If SprintBooster will give the same effect, I will be a very happy person. I will maybe even stop dreaming about a turbo car, because I really miss my old Mito 1.4T with Dynamic mode which gave a much more responsive throttle.
Turbo probably also gives more fun, but in Normal mode the car was completely the same as a 2.0 NA.