How to get steering wheel closer? "not keyless"

I have to keep the standard steering wheel as it is illegal to remove air bags, but I need the steering wheel closer. The way it is now I don't feel connected to the car at all. Is it possible to
swap my steering column with one from a keyless entry car if I can find one that is being parted?

I don't really want to do this as it seems too complicated. I would really prefer a spacer, but Madeno won't sell me one unless they install it in their workshop. I simply don't have the opportunity to go all the way to Holland for such a simple thing. Does anyone else offer such a spacer?

best would be for someone to fabricate you a distance ring, like the one for race / rally steering wheels but meant to put the standard wheel back on, going through the change of the steering column will be a nightmare

Agreed, but who? I have access to a milling machine, but we don't have the skills yet to machine a part to the tolerances needed to make the splines. Maybe I should ask this on a German or French forum. The keyless entry seems to be specific to the UK market, so you don't really have this problem.

Ok. I'm not getting anywhere on this. What would be involved in installing a keyless system? I found a keyless steering column on ebay for £140

Would be expensive I imagine - you'd need to fit the sensors that are located on the door handles. I believe there is also a back up system (a slot in the car) for you to fit the keycard in case the battery or card dies.

Really find it difficult to heel and toe, must be the arthritis starting!

Seriously, always end up jabbing the brake when I blip the throttle!

Sent an e-mail to k-tec. Does not look promising, but fingers crossed.

Really find it difficult to heel and toe, must be the arthritis starting!

Seriously, always end up jabbing the brake when I blip the throttle!
Can't be arthritis, you can't possibly be older than me, and I manage :wink:

The "jabbing the brake pedal" syndrome is related to not braking hard enough. It is actually much easier to h&t when going really fast, like on the track. You push the brake much harder, so it takes much more to jab it. Because you have much more speed to scrub off you push it for much longer, so you have much more time to focus on establishing solid braking before you blip the throttle.

I think of h&t on the street as a way to learn to sync the throttle the shifter and the clutch, more than I consider it an efficient way to brake.