How high should it rev?

chongwong

Gold Member
My 197 seems to have plenty power, as it is no slower than a friends 200, however only revs to approx 7100 rpm Is this normal? Could it just be a miss-calibrated tachometer? I'm just confused as the red-line is at 7500 on the dial. The shift light comes on a few hundred Revs before.

Just making sure everything is fine.

I'm getting the timing Belt, aux belt, all tensioners, a new water pump, and an oil/ filter change done next week as it has patchy history, but i do expect this to change absolutely nothing.

It is driving perfect in every way other than this.

Opinions?

The rev limiter is dependant on engine temperature, it will cut off earlier when cold, and even when hot but turned off for a while, make sure to check it once its warmed up

I'm pretty sure its 7250, I think it would be quite tricky to see that accurately if you're hitting the red line

Yeah this sounds about right, obviously the needle will bounce as well if the car hits the limiter.

I thought most, if not all cars dials went a little higher than the car could actually go?

I'm sure I've read that if you get the car remapped, you can increase the redline to 7700? Although I'm not sure if that requires any other mods?

Might get it remapped when funds allow, the temperature never gets passed the first bar regardless of how long / hard I drive it. It could possibly be on the wrong oil. Rectifying that this week

My 197 is revving up to 7600rpm (7600 is limiter, 7500 should be without it). Had my Laptop connected with a OBD Scanner once:
713222757_20771_55303kzsna.jpg

But I think it depends on which gear you're in? In 1st it didn't rev up to the redline I think, but in 2nd and 3rd it does.

Yeah this sounds about right, obviously the needle will bounce as well if the car hits the limiter.

I thought most, if not all cars dials went a little higher than the car could actually go?

I'm sure I've read that if you get the car remapped, you can increase the redline to 7700? Although I'm not sure if that requires any other mods?

had mine mapped and rev limit upped to 7800rpm :cloud9:

Maybe you need a new thermostat fitted if your not getting past first line? Mine was the same wouldn't go past first notch on temp gauge so bled the system still didn't go up had new thermostat fitted now runs on second and nice and warm heater [emoji23]

Will do the thermostat this weekend, seems like a 20 minute job. Correct me if i'm wrong but it'll just be: remove the battery, battery box, and a large plastic air feed pipe. Unscrew two bolts on pipe from engine to radiator, separate and pull out thermostat? replace in reverse as Mr Haynes likes to say

Can the people saying that the clio revs to 7250rpm put a picture up of their rev tac please. I've seen arguing before saying it's actually 7500rpm but no actual pictures!

I know mine for a fact is 7500rpm but I'm intrigued to see the 7250rpm tac

The tacometer shows 7500rpm redline, my car just doesn't reach it, Thermostat should arrive tomorrow. Will see if running at the correct temperature will remedy that.

Engine oil too cold or engine oil pressure too high? Even at operating temp of 85c. I still need to drive at least 10 miles before the ecu allows me to redline at 7500rpm

Just decided to go mad and get everything done, it's booked in next Friday for Timing belt, Aux Belt, All tensioners/ Pulleys, Water Pump, thermostat, coolant flush and replacement. And i'm waiting for the garage to confirm whether or not they'll fit the lower ball joints (Cheers Raptor!). Managed to get all the necessary parts myself as well so a little money has been saved. Current house has nowhere to do work unfortunately so everything short of oil/filters have to be done by a garage :'(

Would the halfords ready-mixed coolant be fine in the 197? http://www.halfords.com/motoring/en.../halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres
Or would this stuff at 3* the price perform better? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/R...e6ce9a59312e34d166a333d944f16e19cfaace&001374

They are both apparently of the correct spec but would just like to make sure

Last edited:
All of the work has been done, it now revs freely to the redline once warm, and warms up quickly too. Annoyingly my exhaust manifold flexi has now started blowing, and one of the wishbones has developed a little play, so more molestation of my bank account is needed:-(

All of the work has been done, it now revs freely to the redline once warm, and warms up quickly too. Annoyingly my exhaust manifold flexi has now started blowing, and one of the wishbones has developed a little play, so more molestation of my bank account is needed:-(

Go straight through for the mani, keep the secondary cat in :smile: