how do you tell?!

Now this is going to be right up there on the daft question scale!! How do you go about checking if your car is a cup or not?? When i first looked at the car it was listed as a cup and there a few pointers...no rear speakers etc...that seem thats the case but insurance searches etc....show its a 197...help!!!

Few obvious bits - anthracite alloys and red callipers. Also you can tell by looking at the colour of the stickers on the shock absorbers, I think there is a post in the suspension forum telling you which colours mean what. If its a pure cup then you will also have unpainted, black bump strips on the doors.

But then you have the third option, full fat with cup pack. This will look the same as a cup but has coloured bump strips on the doors

antherite wheels, red brake, calipers, stiffer suspension, no cruise control, (crap looking steering wheel). Many 197s didnt come with rear speakers not just cups, the ones that did have them either requested for rear speakers or had the 'option' cabbasse upgrade.

There are similar threads on here somewhere if u search

But red calipers, black plastic door strips and hard plastic dash indicate a cup

Last edited:
just looked at pic of yours, looks like yours is a normal 197 with cup pack option.

im intrigued about mine too,

I think mine may be a full fat with cup as optional extra.... but then, it has ac, didnt have any rear speakers, unpainted calipers cruise control etc. was one of the first 06 plate

and also black door handles and no hands free system so you have an ignition key...

I seem to have half and half...painted everything...no rear speakers, but key card also!! I'm wondering as i've bought cupsprings...bit pointless if i don't need em lol

im intrigued about mine too,

I think mine may be a full fat with cup as optional extra.... but then, it has ac, didnt have any rear speakers, unpainted calipers cruise control etc. was one of the first 06 plate

No cups nor cup packs until after the R27 in 2007.

If it's an 06 it's a full fat.

It will also have the really short gearbox too.

Also the 197 only had front speakers as standard. Rear speakers were a factory option.

As above, anything pre-2007 won't have had Cup chassis.

To have "Cup" on your reg doc you would need to have the bog basic Cup, most obvious give aways are black mouldings & handles, ignition key, no cruise, cheap dash, no marker on wheel, plastic pedals, etc.

If you have the Cup pack on a regular 197 it won't show on your reg doc, just like no other factory options will show.

So me thinks i have a cup...all the pointers are there...even if it is half and half lol!!

have you got cruise control and key card? if you have then its a normal 197 with cup pack, if it was a proper cup it would be normal key no cruise control.

To be sure you can check the colour coding on the springs –orange & blue front and rear on the cup, blue & green front and orange & orange on the rear on the standard chassis car.