How do I remove my private plate back to original?

I got my private plate from my parents for my Christmas 2 years ago and haven't changed my car since (many of you know that).

My question is, how do i go about the DVLA for swapping my plate from my private plate to the cars original plate? I'v had a look on the DVLA site but i don't understand it, i hate that site with a passion!

Anyone got a rough idea on prices etc?

Cheers!

Thanks mate, just got a chance to phone up DVLA and they confirmed it is the V317 i need to fill out. Bloody pain in the a**

If the private plates not going onto another motor you'll have to pay for retention, IIRC about £70!!!

From the DVLA site

•the fee to retain - £105 for one year, £130 for two years or £155 for three years

think that includes the fee onto the next car but could be wrong.

It's about £80 to change to another car or the £80 plus £25 per year, ya won't have to pay anything on next car and they are pretty quick at dealing with it

think that includes the fee onto the next car but could be wrong.

It's about £80 to change to another car or the £80 plus £25 per year, ya won't have to pay anything on next car and they are pretty quick at dealing with it

Both correct, the £105 fee to take your plate off and put it onto a retention certificate for one year includes the £80 transfere fee, so when you have new car it will not cost you anymore to put onto your new car.

If you dont put it onto a new car within a year they will write to you to say the certificate is about to run out and you'll have to pay another £25 for another years worth.

Ignor that £25 renewal and you'll lose the plate, they'll sell it again.

99 times out of 100 you'll get the original plate back but it's not gauranteed.

^ Yeah that's basically what i got told. The lady on the phone said 9 times out of 10 you get the original plate back. I hope so, can't be bothered getting new plates made up!