Holes?

youngarthur

Paid Member
I am tempted to drill holes where the number plate is, then remove number plate when on track. Car is fine on road, but track might be another matter. I am trying to prempt problems at Oulton, on the 24th of this month. Decisions decisions.

I've seen this done on 1*2s and it seems like a good idea. Will you be using velcro to attach the numberplate to the car when on the road?

Arthur,

Why not go with a magnetic solution? Then you don't have to drill holes, looks a lot better when it's off and removal and refitting is a piece of cake.

I plan to do something similar at some point.

The other option is fabricating a removable number plate bracket that will screw into the tow eye as I have on my BMW.

Sorry for a possible thread hi-jack but @///M what's the magnetic solution? That means you don't have to drill?

And guessing the holes are to increase amount of air flow to radiator etc? As I've also seen some 1*2s with this done on tracks etc

Sorry for a possible thread hi-jack but @///M what's the magnetic solution? That means you don't have to drill?

And guessing the holes are to increase amount of air flow to radiator etc? As I've also seen some 1*2s with this done on tracks etc

Riiiiiight, I think I may have misunderstood a little.

Extra air flow. Get it now.

As for the magnetic solution, fix magnets to the inside of the bumper or plate holder and to the back of the number plate itself. Then cover the back of the plate with something to stop it scratching the car.

Best removable plate solution I think. Looks OEM when on, looks like it never had one when off. :thumb:

Reactions: Sneydster
Riiiiiight, I think I may have misunderstood a little.

Extra air flow. Get it now.

As for the magnetic solution, fix magnets to the inside of the bumper or plate holder and to the back of the number plate itself. Then cover the back of the plate with something to stop it scratching the car.

Best removable plate solution I think. Looks OEM when on, looks like it never had one when off. :thumb:

Ohhhhh mixed wires perhaps, well that's me presuming it's for extra airflow

As for the magnets....definitely sounds the best idea I've heard so nice one, quick simple and clean.

Reactions: ///M
Ohhhhh mixed wires perhaps, well that's me presuming it's for extra airflow

As for the magnets....definitely sounds the best idea I've heard so nice one, quick simple and clean.

Nah, having read more, I think you're right mate. I should pay more attention!

:smiley:

I've seen the magnet thing done before, looked a great solution and one I'd like to look at properly soon.

As usual, could not wait, so holes drilled, will tidy them up tomorrow.Looking out the window, the local bird population seem to be very interested in this new nesting site!!.

Reactions: Jimmy
Isn't there a fairly substantial plastic crash structure behind the front bumper (thought there was on the 200 anyway)? Presumably you would need to remove this first to get an airflow benefit?