Help: Squealing noise from brakes/wheel area...

Was wondering if you guys could help diagnose an issue.

Basically, intermittently a high pitch squealing noise is coming from either the front or the rear wheel area on the drivers side. Weird thing is that as soon as the brake is applied even a very small amount it totally stops. Also steering in either direction also tends to stop it as well. It only seems to start when warmed up a bit and isn't constant all the time. You can't really hear it at high speed, mainly around 30-50mph Any ideas? My first thoughts were brake pads but that's just a complete guess to be honest. Any experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
thank mate I did think it was a good possibility it was that, but my thought process was that if it was the brakes, wouldn't the squeal happen when they were applied like you hear on other peoples cars. Not actually squeal when driving along normally and stop when the brake is applied.

Nope

The pad runners seize causing the pad to drag when no pressure is being applied. This is the squeeling. Then when you do apply pressure, the pad is forced against the disc taking away that vibration from the rubbing.

Often rebuilds required. Come to think of it, mine need doing again.

makes sense... i'll have to get a brake service then. Don't think i'll be doing it myself so will have to go professional. Unless anyone wants to make some money? :smile:

If your not a member join and look in the how to section. There are threads on how to do virtually everything inc the brakes with step by step guides with pictures.

Not that hard to do at all. 2-3 hours tops to do all 4 corners. I do mine in just over an hour.

Yep, it will be what foxspeed said, mine is doing it a bit at the moment and I know for certain my rear pads are done and sticking slightly. Just awaiting some new ones to replace them with.

Yea i've seen the guide and as idiot proof as it is i'd rather someone who's done it before or a pro do it. I'll get some new pads and then ask if anyone wants to take it on for some easy money.

Yea i've seen the guide and as idiot proof as it is i'd rather someone who's done it before or a pro do it. I'll get some new pads and then ask if anyone wants to take it on for some easy money.

sensible approach there as it is brakes and if your not sure best left to those that do!

maybe worth having the brakes looked at first the pads don't always need/want replacing

The rears are pretty much dead and need changing anyway, so i'll pick up some standard brembo's. The fronts are ok but I want DS2500's and some ATE Superblue.

I've got exactly the same problem here, hoping that the squealing noise is gone after I have my pads replaced (think I pretty much overheated them on the latest trackday haha). Still not sure which pads to buy though

Mate, defo get Ferodo DS2500's. I've been in 200's with them on standard setup and they are so much better than the brembo's.