Help needed choosing lowering springs.

As above guys I need some help choosing some lowering springs. I want to lower mine but it has the cup chassis option and I don't want a any harder ride than it is now. So am I wasting my time as most lowering springs will make a car ride harder?

I've lowered most of my previous cars but This is the first car that comes with such a firm ride as standad so I'm a bit confused what to do.

Paul

Last edited:
Lots of people fitted h&r springs to their cup dampers..they say its the best compromise..Can't comment as I fitted colies instead..

Fitted Grams springs from Kamracing. Ride is firmer but not crashy. 30mm drop all round which is bang on for road/race combo IMO. Very pleased with them

Reactions: paul jennings
Fitted Grams springs from Kamracing. Ride is firmer but not crashy. 30mm drop all round which is bang on for road/race combo IMO. Very pleased with them

Cheers Ben for that info. It's doing my head in if I'm honest as mentioned before I've owned and modified many cars over my life time but never before had a car that already comes with such a solid suspension ride as standad and I'm worried if I lower it it will be even harder which I'm not sure I would like.

Don't laugh but I had this idea that if I was to fit 30mm lowering springs but then changed the tyres to a 5mm higher profile giving it more of a cushion to soften the ride. Also doing this closed the arch gap even more.

Paul

Reactions: Big Ben
Cheers Ben for that info. It's doing my head in if I'm honest as mentioned before I've owned and modified many cars over my life time but never before had a car that already comes with such a solid suspension ride as standad and I'm worried if I lower it it will be even harder which I'm not sure I would like.

Don't laugh but I had this idea that if I was to fit 30mm lowering springs but then changed the tyres to a 5mm higher profile giving it more of a cushion to soften the ride. Also doing this closed the arch gap even more.

Paul
Not laughing at the logic. I run a 225/45/17 so slightly higher tyre profile plus 30mm drop works well

Reactions: paul jennings
Easiest thing to do is to get the spring rates and go from there. I'm sure I had a list of the rates on my laptop but that's at work and I'm on my phone just now. Remind me on Monday if you still need them and I'll have a look.

.....I want to lower mine but it has the cup chassis option and I don't want a any harder ride than it is now. ...

In my experience with previous cars, this is a very challenging goal....unless you are also prepared to change damping. Normally, I'd say Eibach springs and Koni adjustable dampers....but I have a 2011 Cup chassis...and I can't get Koni dampers. Please tell me I'm wrong, but then the alternatives become very expensive, eg, KW V3 coilovers [emoji33]

Reactions: Matt Scarbro
I'm in a similar situation Paul, despite trying to avoid spending any (more) money I'm drawn to Koni adjustables and I think from my research it looks like the Eibachs have the best ride.

I would be very interested to hear from someone who has put Eibachs on a Cup chassis with the Cup shocks. :grinning:

Normally, I'd say Eibach springs and Koni adjustable dampers....but I have a 2011 Cup chassis...and I can't get Koni dampers. [emoji33]

Sorry to pull this slightly off topic, is it just the later top mounts that you can't get the Konis for or the 200 Cup chassis?

Could you use the earlier top mount if so?

I'm in a similar situation Paul, despite trying to avoid spending any (more) money I'm drawn to Koni adjustables and I think from my research it looks like the Eibachs have the best ride.

I would be very interested to hear from someone who has put Eibachs on a Cup chassis with the Cup shocks. :grinning:

I've just put 200 cup shocks on my 197 with eibach springs this weekend. Improved it immensely, one of my shocks was bent though and were the original ones from 2008 so could have something to do with it. But feels incredible now, corners brilliantly! Ride is a little firmer but nothing too harsh at all! I'd definitely recommend mate!

That's good to hear :grinning:

Best feedback would someone with a 200 Cup chassis that has gone from Cup shocks and springs to Cup shocks and Eibachs.

Can compare the 200 Cup springs and Eibachs more directly then...

That's good to hear :grinning:

Best feedback would someone with a 200 Cup chassis that has gone from Cup shocks and springs to Cup shocks and Eibachs.

Can compare the 200 Cup springs and Eibachs more directly then...

This is exactly what I'd like to know, too. My hunch is that ride will be harsher, handling pretty identical, and a cosmetic appearance improvement. For that result and all the effort, Bilstein B14s are probably a better option...but I really want adjustable damping.

Reactions: Matt Scarbro
This is exactly what I'd like to know, too. My hunch is that ride will be harsher, handling pretty identical, and a cosmetic appearance improvement. For that result and all the effort, Bilstein B14s are probably a better option...but I really want adjustable damping.

Not sure if it's wishful thinking but I'm wondering if they may have a slightly less harsh ride. The Eibachs are progressively wound but I've only seen a single rate for oem.

For me the adjustable Konis are the more appealing proposition, they use the same damping in the KW type 2 so for someone who doesn't need to cornerweight their car (just about everyone), the Konis look like a great option. :grinning:

Reactions: Timbo
I've had the car from new so it came with the OE Cup setup. I've since fitted H&R springs to those dampers and then refreshed the whole lot in January with new H&R springs and new OE Cup dampers.

The ride is barely any different from OE. Really. They're a progressive spring but you do lose around 30mm in stroke, so they're a bit stiffer near the end of the travel. Around town I noticed zero difference and the car was more predictable on open roads, too.

The only thing I did notice is that the rear feels stiffer than the front. Exaggerated on mine as it's stripped out and the springs have rates suited to a full-weight car. If anything though, the stiffer rear makes it more playful. Just watch it in the wet, it makes them handle a lot more like an old skool hatch. Not a bad thing at all.

I'm on h&r springs and cup dampers too, was out with the wife yesterday, let's say it will prob the last time she will be in it, think the stainless steel exhaust and induction kit Sealed the deal :smile: lucky I just got it as a runaround for me then :smile:

I can fully recommend the adjustable B14 setup (which is pretty much a B16). Ours are set 3 or 4 clicks from fully soft and I'm told that's about regular B14 stiffness so plenty of room to go softer or harder.

Reactions: Timbo and Cossers
I can fully recommend the adjustable B14 setup (which is pretty much a B16). Ours are set 3 or 4 clicks from fully soft and I'm told that's about regular B14 stiffness so plenty of room to go softer or harder.

TBH this the only way I'd go if I was going the coilover route, fully adjustable rather than a ride that might suit others and not you!

Reactions: ///M