HELP metallic clunking from belt side of engine

Gorman

Paid Member
So, I poly bushed the torque and upper engine mounts yesterday and since then I have a kind of metallic clunk from the same side. It's not oermanent, it rattles slightly and then stops, comes again etc. For want of a better word it's like a light bell ringing. Comes and goes so it's hard to catch.

Sounds like one of the screws isn't sitting really tight. Did you double check and used a torque wrench?

If you had the undertray off check those 10mm bolts I had one I had only hand started and the washer made a similar sound I'm guessing you put the jack under the engine to support it when changing the main engine bush.

If you had the undertray off check those 10mm bolts I had one I had only hand started and the washer made a similar sound I'm guessing you put the jack under the engine to support it when changing the main engine bush.
Yes, jacked the engine up and down a few times to line the mount back up again. But I didn't have the under tray off. I'll take a good look today, get the car up on ramps and have it started.

I sheered the main upper engine mount on the 172 jacking the engine up there might me a possibility lifting too high or too low or if it twisted you might have damaged the dog bone or lower engine mount the other place to look would be under the wiper scuttle with the full weight of the car on its wheels the shock top mounts sheer and pulling away, low speed it will rattle the metal cup inside the ring which should be held apart by the rubber.Effect can be the dull handling but a slow decline hard to notice. With the weight on the wheels it will be more open easier seen.
upload_2019-3-20_14-54-30.png