Help.. Car is very poorly

Fernandez

Gold Member
Looks like after 65K I have my first real mechanical problem...

Popped to the post office earlier and the car was fine, running sweet. Came out 10 minutes later started it up and things had radically changed.

Firstly it didn't want to start, was very hesitant and needed some throttle to get going.

I was then greated with what can only be described as a tractor engine, which is ironic as I posted about muscle cars sounding like tractors earlier. The car struggled to idle and struggled to rev. No warning lights came on so I gingerly set off as my house was only round the corner and limped back.

The car has plenty of oil and petrol. Just checked and changed the plugs but no change.

Here's a quick video, I don't really want to start it as it sounds terminal.

Anyone any ideas please...

[YOUTUBE]5H3MLMqbuec[/YOUTUBE]

well cannot tell too much from that clip the sound isnt great but its like its not running on all the cylinders so could be either coil or injector/s

were any of the plugs really sooted up?

whens its running is there much back pressure/oil smoke from the oil cap (with it removed)

Does sound like there are pistons not firing. I'll check the back pressure in a bit and report back.

Plugs were bit black

As already stated its deffo of a cylinder or 2. Coils would be my next suspect, esp as they are usually fairly easy to change. Are you in the AA or RAC, it may be worth the fall if you are. Is there a vibration through the car when driving that eases with s bit of speed? My Fiesta Zetec S felt awful when the coil pack went.

Was gonna say coil pack too. My Saxo VTS sounded like a Suburu when a coil went on that, the same on the 172 I had, and our 1.4 clio.....lumpy as the morning after a strong curry! :wink:

My guess would be coil pack as well but it is weird that it's misfiring and you haven't got any dash lights on...

Cheers for the replys everyone.

For the little that they cost I'm going to order 4 pencil coils and a coil pack and see what happens.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replys everyone.

For the little that they cost I'm going to order 4 pencil coils and a coil pack and see what happens.

you only need the 4 pencil coils that go on the plugs - there isnt any "coil pack" like on a 172/182 :thumbup1:

P6200005.jpg

Last edited:
you only need the 4 pencil coils that go on the plugs - there isnt any "coil pack" like on a 172/182 :thumbup1:

wtf the way angel, i expected you to know this, considering you have just changed your air box and had a good poke about

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

Change the plugs to be safe too mum was missing like mad and was the plugs even though they looked ok

Changed em mate, had a spare set of new OEM ones. Made no difference.

I'll pick some pencil coils up tomorrow.

I believe the part no is: 8200208611. From what I've read this the OE ones are pish. Apparently the Valeo 245104 green tops are much better and a direct replacement.

Sorry to hear about your mum missing