Heat shield rattle and knock.

Not managed to get the car up on a ramp at work yet, but every bump I go over I'm getting a loud rattle. It's the heat shield as I could just about reach it when lying on the floor and managed to make it wobble and knock. It's the shield that goes above the exhaust and it's rattling towards the back just as it goes over the rear axle. What should I be looking for to fix this back in place again. is there a quick fix. Do I need it? Can it just be removed? Any help, hints, tips and ideas greatly received.

When I first got the car I had a rattle which I thought was from the heat shield but it actually turned out to be a blowing centre silencer, believe it or not.

I wouldn't remove heat shielding, its there for a reason, do you mean above the back box?

I had this with one exhaust tip, just bent the metal of the heat shield downwards until there was no touching.

It's the actual hear shield. I can move it with out any effort. It looks like it's come loose at the rear. It's the shield that runs along the centre of the car and is above the single exhaust pipe. Just befor it goes into the back box. I figured I shouldn't remove it haha. I'll have to have a look this week if I can get it on a ramp. Hopefully just a bolt that rattled loose or something.

Originally thought it was the exhaust, but tried moving that with the two tail pipes and it's stuff and doesn't rattle

it will probably be like the shield on the 182 that rots round the fixing washer....you have to fit bigger flat washers in place to keep it in position

quite easy fix once you suss it out

It's the actual hear shield. I can move it with out any effort. It looks like it's come loose at the rear. It's the shield that runs along the centre of the car and is above the single exhaust pipe. Just befor it goes into the back box. I figured I shouldn't remove it haha. I'll have to have a look this week if I can get it on a ramp. Hopefully just a bolt that rattled loose or something.

Have the same issue...it broke. Will buy a new one eventually it's close to £50.

I wouldn't buy a new heat shield, especially not if it's £50. Replace it with ZircoFlex or similar, I plan to remove my diffuser one and replace with this stuff. It should stop some of the resonance in the car too, when I drove the car without the diffuser attached it was so much quieter, but with the diffuser fitted it booms loudly inside.
You can buy a proper sound/heat hybrid matting but it weighs more than ZircoFlex 'I' which is very light :smile:

I wouldn't buy a new heat shield, especially not if it's £50. Replace it with ZircoFlex or similar, I plan to remove my diffuser one and replace with this stuff. It should stop some of the resonance in the car too, when I drove the car without the diffuser attached it was so much quieter, but with the diffuser fitted it booms loudly inside.
You can buy a proper sound/heat hybrid matting but it weighs more than ZircoFlex 'I' which is very light :smile:

Not a bad idea, however - there's some other stuff that need heat protection and I can't wrap them in this thermal coating.

Will keep that in mind when I start searching for the thermal isolation for the airbox and the pipe. :thumbup1: