Headphones!

I need a good pair of headphones for listening to mainly music. Been listening to a lot of Spotify lately. I don't want anything that goes in my ears want something that goes over the top. Budget is around £100. Want something that's loud, plenty of bass but still clear when you turn them up loud and don't distort. I've looked into noise cancelling but will I get this within my budget and is it worth it? I'll only be using them at home.

Thanks in advance

Martyn

You can do a LOT better than bose stuff. Bose stuff is heavily marketed hence it's massive reputation.

Sennheiser and Grado are the two big headphone brands and will beat any equally prised bose headphones.

I have a pair of these and they're absolutely superb http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001FTVE0/?tag=clio197-21

The main difference between sennheiser and grado is that most sennheisers are open back and most grados are closed back. Sennheisers will give a more open sound whilst the grados may give slightly bigger bass. If you're using the headphones with a computer then a touch of equalisation will raise the bass, if you want

Ben... Can you stop posting exactly what I was going to post..it's getting annoying! lol seriously tho... He's right about Bose marketing. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but I would go with some sennheisers as they sound sweet! Haven't heard the grados but from what lots of people say they sound good.

I tried the beats ones by dre last week, but wasn't that impressed tbh. May be me tho, as it's a personal thing I suppose!

Try looking on AVForums, as you may pick up a second hand/nearly new set. It's also good for a bit of research!

Last edited:
iv got the dre beat things and think there pretty good.

very subtle and not huge. easy to use, and you dont look like a pillock with an antenna unit on your head... but as said there are others probs best trying some out, apple store let you try the beat units.
bose store for bose etc dont know where you could try the other 2

You can do a LOT better than bose stuff. Bose stuff is heavily marketed hence it's massive reputation.

Sennheiser and Grado are the two big headphone brands and will beat any equally prised bose headphones.

I have a pair of these and they're absolutely superb http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001FTVE0/?tag=clio197-21

The main difference between sennheiser and grado is that most sennheisers are open back and most grados are closed back. Sennheisers will give a more open sound whilst the grados may give slightly bigger bass. If you're using the headphones with a computer then a touch of equalisation will raise the bass, if you want

Thankyou, someone who finally doesnt reccomend Bose.

The problem with the HD595's is they are open. Meaning everyone around you will get pretty peeved off. I assume its cans or headphones you want, and not IEM's?

I dont know if you can stretch, but would a set of beyerdynamic DT770pro's be in your range, they are about £130. See thomann.de for the 32ohm pair. (if it is 32 ohm you want - no amp required). They have plenty of bass and good sound quality too. They are closed cans and are not too loud to other people, they have good isolation.

LOL at Dre beats. I like monster to some extent but the beats are a total joke. Great for bass heads and people who have no idea wht audio should sound like. Overpriced branded tack. Build quality is poor and you look like a total plonker if you wear them in public places.

Agreed, the HD595 do let out a fair bit of noise. Probably similar to the leakage you'd expect from standard ipod style headphones.

Sorry but Bose stuff is mostly a load of overpriced crap with some overdone sound treatment.

Most of the media speaker systems use cones that cost £5, basically it's all fancy electronics rather than good quality hardware and ideally you want it to be the opposite way round.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/grado-sr80i-open-back-prestige-headphones-b-grade-prodid-2501.html

If you're using them at home an open back doesn't matter too much and those are by far the best over ears for the price.