headlight washer leak?

just cleaned my car today and topped up the washer fluid

i noticed a green puddle of washer fluid under the car leaking from the drivers side headlight washer nozzle

its coming from the actual nozzle itself, where the water would come out of if the pump was running

when the fluid in the bottle went down to near the bottom of the filler neck it stopped. as if the weight of the water n the bottle was making the nozzle leak

anyone know what could cause this?

its been quite hot today i dont know if that has anything to do with it? its never happened before and i always dry my car off after washing so would have noticed it.

The only reason it would leak from there is if the pump is pumping fluid to it. I think the outlets are just nozzles, there's no valve as such to control when fluid comes out.

Think you just need to keep an eye on it then investigate the pump if it happens again

Sounds like the rubber valve in the nozzle is disturbed, happened to mine and blocked ot, but the same thing could probably cause a leak.

Unclip nozzle, remove and strip down, then rerbuild and refit.

i was thinking there must be a non return valve in there somewhere to stop rubbish getting into the bottle from the washer jet outlet

how do you remove them?

It never would travel back to the bottle as the pump only pumps one way. So, when the pump isn't running it blocks off the pipe to the washers.

yeah but dirt could get from the nozzle to the pump from the outlet. if its just a length of hose leading to the pump with an open end then all kinds of crap would build up in the hose.

also its just 1 on the drivers side that is doing it. it stops when the washer fluid is level with the washer jet, so its syphoning back up the hose and out of the nozzle end.

fitted the halfords non return valves and they work spot on.

no more leaking. only take 10 mins, remove wheelarch liner, split the tubing at the union and fit NRV in its place. easy